Ham Strike Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
"What's with the stepladder??" - sallen07

So the OP can remount all the crap that blows off the roof and other mounts!!!:ROFLMAO:

ecps92

Yes - you are correct per IMDB
I'm pretty sure it is Werner Klemperor. The photo was from a scene from the TV series Lost in Space.

PRMII

Premium Subscriber
This way Ham Operators can be compensated for their time and expenses. Well, as long as they don't use their Ham Radio Gear... Only reason I can figure. I'm sure with the money that hospital district has, they will purchase commercial radios for the members. That way, they can be programmed with repeaters etc, and will be legal instead of the other way around.
Just my .02

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
This way Ham Operators can be compensated for their time and expenses. Well, as long as they don't use their Ham Radio Gear... Only reason I can figure. I'm sure with the money that hospital district has, they will purchase commercial radios for the members. That way, they can be programmed with repeaters etc, and will be legal instead of the other way around.
Just my .02
I have no idea how much use this project will get. But I would note this:
Currently, the City of Dallas public safety agencies are Uhf. Most Dallas County agencies (the county, not the other cities) are Vhf-high. While hams would not be transmitting directly on the city or county channels, in many cases their radio equipment might be able to monitor activity.

However, the city and county are currently building what will be a new P25 Phase II system using 700 & 800MHz frequencies. These will be be well outside what normal ham equipment can monitor. I wonder if the thinking is that by having county supplied radios that could be used for coordination, it would enable hams to participate should there be a significant incident where additional communication methods are needed.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Or, they are using H.A.M. to mean something else other than amateur radio. Working for a large government organization, I can tell you that their propensity for acronyms results in them just plain running out of acronyms after a while and they start reusing them. We've got a couple of groups at work that have matching acronyms that mean completely different things, and you have to look at who's sending the e-mail to understand what they are talking about.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
This way Ham Operators can be compensated for their time and expenses. Well, as long as they don't use their Ham Radio Gear...

This makes sense. While we like to poke fun at ARES types with their orange vests, yellow helmets and magnetic car decals.... ARES does turn out trained emergency communicators.

These are amateurs who have taken a range of formal courses dealing with subjects like FEMA incident command procedures. http://www.arrl.org/online-course-catalog. They might even have a pool of trained amateurs waiting in the wings and that's what this proposal is about.

Operating on a commercial frequency would allow the agency to provide remuneration for their services.

ecps92

When the FCC was up [last week] I took a peek at the license and it was not Commercial, but it Public Safety [460]

PW = Public Safety Pool, Conventional
This makes sense. While we like to poke fun at ARES types with their orange vests, yellow helmets and magnetic car decals.... ARES does turn out trained emergency communicators.

These are amateurs who have taken a range of formal courses dealing with subjects like FEMA incident command procedures. Online Course Catalog. They might even have a pool of trained amateurs waiting in the wings and that's what this proposal is about.

Operating on a commercial frequency would allow the agency to provide remuneration for their services.

fwradio

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
"HAM STRIKE TEAM"... I wonder if they will be using Part 90 radios... just curious. I see so many out there who don't know anything about the FCC rules, especially with the influx of cheap Chinese radios that either aren't certified, or are not certified for the services they are being used for. The companies in China just put the FCC logo on the label and call it good.

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
If they are handling HIPAA PHI during a time of need at deployment, then having a Part 90 license and Ø makes sense.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I'd be interested in their concept of operation... Do they intend on dispersing the trained medical assets because of difficulty with transportation to an efficient hub?

The reason I ask is that it would be slightly different from the general tendency to centralize control and operations as much as possible (by the personality types that tend to be put in charge of things).

Although it would go well with the Air Forces concept of centralized control and decentralized execution.

As I said, any ideas as to their concept?

Thanks
Joel

n5ims

I'd be interested in their concept of operation... Do they intend on dispersing the trained medical assets because of difficulty with transportation to an efficient hub?

The reason I ask is that it would be slightly different from the general tendency to centralize control and operations as much as possible (by the personality types that tend to be put in charge of things).

Although it would go well with the Air Forces concept of centralized control and decentralized execution.

As I said, any ideas as to their concept?

Thanks
Joel

This might give you some of the information you're looking for about the Medical Reserve Corps. And for those that think that this is just some hams trying to appear official, please make note of the .gov web address. https://www.phe.gov/mrc/Pages/default.aspx

And for details on the Dallas MRC group that the Part 90 license is for, their web site is here (note the site is part of the official Dallas County TX official web site and part of the Dallas County Health and Human Services Department) Home (dallascounty.org)

As a government agency I wouldn't expect any modified ham radios (especially Baofengs) to be allowed on their frequencies, just as you wouldn't see them on the DPD or DFR frequencies for use by officials of those agencies. Be aware that I am not (currently) a MRC member so this shouldn't be considered an official MRC response. Also as a long standing member of RadioReference.com I understand that there are indeed many folks that want to illegally program their radios for public safety frequencies to appear that they also are associated with them and personally I totally agree that they shouldn't be allowed to do so.

Members are also simply having some fun, and I understand that as well. They probably don't understand what the MRC does or why they might legitimately require a Part-90 license.

Quoting from "Spies Like Us"
We mock what we don't understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.