Ham test in N.O. area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jswensen

I decided that I should probably get my tech license to go in my hurricane
preparedness kit. I have two questions. First, I've been taking the
online test at http://www.qrz.com/testing.html .
I've been passing it but I'm going to keep at it until I get a conisistently better score.
Is this test representative of the question pool I'll see on the real test?
Second, I checked the test location database on ARRL (I think) and it indicated that the
closest test location was Franklinton! Should I wait for a ham show
to come to the area or what?

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
jswensen said:
Is this test representative of the question pool I'll see on the real test?

Yes they are from the same question pool.

jswensen said:
Second, I checked the test location database on ARRL (I think) and it indicated that the closest test location was Franklinton! Should I wait for a ham show
to come to the area or what?

Found 4 in Ocean Springs MS, additional can be read here, http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/examsearch.phtml?zip=70112&dist=100

You should contact a local club, many times they can setup a VEC test session if a person would like to test and shows interest. I wouldn't wait too long if you want to make this part of your hurricane preparedness kit. The season starts in just a few months.

Good Luck!

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Wish you the best of luck. The guys in the Washington Parish area are great. I know of the possible VEs there. He's is Frank Creel with the Callsign of WA5CWE.

Please note I am from the Bogalusa area.

jswensen

NeFire242:
Hmm. Ocean Springs is a bit of a drive for me as well. I've got some extended family
on the coast so maybe I'll schedule something and drop in on them.
And as far as the 2006 hurricane season, it started June 1, 2006 so I'm
obviously behind schedule...

KC0STG:
Thanks for the comment. I've been through several hurricanes of various strengths and
I've always been impressed by the ham community's ability to get communication going
when everything else has been wiped out. I'll probably be sticking to 2 meter but if I catch 'the bug' then HF is probably my next step.

I appreciate the reply from both of you

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Ah yeah well, I just wanted to list some more options for you.

You might also take note that July 1 the question pool does change.

kd5pck

You may want to check out my Yahoo! group at :

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GNOAmateurRadio

Once there, we (members) can help point you in the right direction.
Since Katrina, there's a big push to incorporate ham radio into everyone's disaster plans. Hospitals around the country have been receiving federal grants since 9/11/01 to beef up their disaster readiness. As a condition of receiving the money, they have to have a backup communication plan in effect -- enter ham radio. It's alot cheaper to use the money for ham equipment than for commercial equipment and installation. Once the equipment is purchased, most hams involved in public service are more than willing to install radios and antennas free of charge. Plus, it give hams a chance to play with equipment that would normally be out of range for their wallets.
Good luck with the studying and I hope I can help you out.
Send me an email outside the forum and I can help you out with some more information.
--Scott

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
The Jefferson ARC (pre-storm) was testing. Also in the Baton Rouge area, if you can get hold of K5MAN (Karl Sandstrom) he can probably set up a testing session for you. I believe you can email Karl using the arrl.net address with his call sign.

jswensen

I had thought about it being an imposition to ask someone to schedule a test for
just one person so I mentioned it to a friend in Baton Rouge and he'd been
wanting to get his license too. So he's brushing up on the material and
we'll both come in for the test.

Status
Not open for further replies.