• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Ham tranceiver w/GPS mapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

racin06

Member
Joined
May 30, 2004
Messages
668
Location
Westfield, Indiana
Garmin's Rino 530 is a handheld mapping GPS receiver integrated with a GMRS tranceiver. I would love to see a unit like this but with a 144/440 tranceiver for Hams. I have emailed Garmin suggesting such a unit. I doubt that my email helps that much...it all depends on the market potential for such a device. What do you all think?

http://www.garmin.com/products/rino530/
 
N

N_Jay

Guest
racin06 said:
Garmin's Rino 530 is a handheld mapping GPS receiver integrated with a GMRS tranceiver. I would love to see a unit like this but with a 144/440 tranceiver for Hams. I have emailed Garmin suggesting such a unit. I doubt that my email helps that much...it all depends on the market potential for such a device. What do you all think?

http://www.garmin.com/products/rino530/

Tiny matrket.
 

racin06

Member
Joined
May 30, 2004
Messages
668
Location
Westfield, Indiana
OK, I found it. According to Wikipedia, there are approximately 80,000 GMRS licensees in the U.S. I believe there are about 700,000 Hams in the U.S. I think Garmin is missing the boat on this, if you ask me. I know many geocachers who are also Hams. Also, I would much better have a 144/400 transceiver than a GMRS, especially if hiking in the bush. Anyway, I just feel there is certainly a market for a Rino-type unit with an amateur transceiver.
 
N

N_Jay

Guest
racin06 said:
But isn't the GMRS market tiny as well? Maybe it isn't. I wonder how many licensed GMRS operators exist in the U.S. compared to Hams?
It's the bubble pack market. (Huge)

It's only one manufacturer and two models out of the whole market.
 
N

N_Jay

Guest
racin06 said:
OK, I found it. According to Wikipedia, there are approximately 80,000 GMRS licensees in the U.S. I believe there are about 700,000 Hams in the U.S. I think Garmin is missing the boat on this, if you ask me. I know many geocachers who are also Hams. Also, I would much better have a 144/400 transceiver than a GMRS, especially if hiking in the bush. Anyway, I just feel there is certainly a market for a Rino-type unit with an amateur transceiver.

1) hams are cheap
2) the market is very fractured
3) combined products are always a compromise.
They tend to be have all the problems of both products and limited benefits.
4) People serious about either their ham radio or the GPS (Geo-cachers) are not going to buy a product that has compromises
 

eorange

Secret Agent Man
Joined
Aug 20, 2003
Messages
2,155
Location
Cleveland, OH
The GPS/Ham function is already well-established with APRS devices. Also...if manufacturers combine a GPS with a ham rig, you'd probably end up with one mediocre device that's cost prohibitive.
 

n4voxgill

Silent Key
Joined
Dec 15, 2000
Messages
2,579
Location
New Braunfels, TX
Hams have been using APRS for years and kenwood and alinco build radios with tnc built in to connect to GPS and if you look at the aprx sites you can the detailed information that APRS has. You can pick up a vehicle it will tell what direction they are travelling and what their current speed is. You can see all of the vehicles in an entire area that have APRS. APRS is not a toy, but a real form of communication
 
N

N_Jay

Guest
n4voxgill said:
Hams have been using APRS for years and kenwood and alinco build radios with tnc built in to connect to GPS and if you look at the aprx sites you can the detailed information that APRS has. You can pick up a vehicle it will tell what direction they are travelling and what their current speed is. You can see all of the vehicles in an entire area that have APRS. APRS is not a toy, but a real form of communication
I would not doubt they get APRS capability, but doubt GPS mapping or "Rino" type operation.

APRS requires just a TNC and GRPS RX.

The others require significant display and memory improvements.
 

MNRotrMedic

Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2005
Messages
147
Location
Central Minnesota
My understanding of GPRS is that there's a fair amount of aftermarket tech and know-how required to implement it and the information derived from it is not typically available in a mobile environment.

These are the two major advantages to a system like this, out of the box functionality and mobile, on demand data availibility. The concerns here about there being a compromise are valid but jow may electronic items that you know of anren't a compromise. I have 8-10 scanners because of the different features that each offers. I can look at every one and find an area for improvement.

I'm not a HAM myself (yet) but that's one thing that i see in my near future as i get more and more acquainted with it. A unit like this would be a push for that and for me to push friends or family into the hobby. Even to offer commercial grade GMRS gear like this that would interoperate with repeaters and the full range of CTCSS/CDCSS codes would be a bigger advantage as it would allow me to have the license and share the functionality with my family.

Be it Garmin, Big /\/\, EF Johnson, Kenwood, etc i think that there would be a fantastic niche for a comparatively simple GPRS type RINO device.
 

racin06

Member
Joined
May 30, 2004
Messages
668
Location
Westfield, Indiana
N_Jay said:
3) combined products are always a compromise.
They tend to be have all the problems of both products and limited benefits.
4) People serious about either their ham radio or the GPS (Geo-cachers) are not going to buy a product that has compromises
Perhaps the GMRS transceiver has compromises; however, not so with the GPS unit in the Rino. The Rino uses the same GPS hardware and mapping software as some other Garmin GPS-only devices.
 

cellblock776

Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2002
Messages
843
Location
St Gabriel, Louisiana
I've been APRS active for years and have participated to discussions like this in the past.
I currently use a Kenwood TM-D700 attached to a Magellian GPS receiver when mobile. It would be nice if Kenwood, or another company, came out with a radio model with the GPS built in to prevent all the wiring and addons which are necessary now. I'd also like to see their APRS ready handheld mated up with an internal GPS so that users would not have to carry a separate unit connected with cables. The mobile would have the GPS mounted inside the radio with a antenna plug for connecting a external antenna.
Sure the market may be small but I we are already seeing GPS receivers coming out which are APRS ready, plug and play for the Kenwood Mobile and portable radios. I'm refering here to the AvMap G4T GPS receiver- http://www.geosat.us/ .
The technology is here and there is a market for it. Now if someone would just put a VHF/UHF ham radio out with built in GPS. Garmin? Kenwood? Icom? Any of you guys listening? If you build it we will buy it.
 

OpSec

Code 21, Status 7
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
1,610
Location
Underground
I'm both :)

That said, I'd look into something like the Transceiver/GPS combo handheld if it had the same spec's as the fleet of Motorola handheld's I have...
 

kg4icg

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 28, 2003
Messages
317
Location
Woodbridge, Va
With the GPS i have hooked up to my Kenwood TMD700A, which is the Avmap G4T, i do get mapping capability with my radio. Not only does it feed my radio with the neccessary nmea sentences to transmit for people to see my position , but it also takes the beacons from other stations and plots them on the gps screen. That's all done with only 2 peices of equipment. Also APRS is used extensively in the Marine Corps Marathon which is coming up Oct 29th.

R Collins
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top