Hamilton CACC - Brant / Norfolk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jzemire

Hello, I recently purchased an Anytone D878uv DMR radio. I've been learning to program it myself, and have done so for some channels I need. However, I need help programming Brantford / Norfolk channels under Hamilton CACC.

I've already seen a couple posts about the talkgroups, and multiple frequencies for Hamilton CACC. But I have absolutely no idea what those mean or how to program them into my 878. Doing volunteer medical, at sometimes large events, I really want to have the local CACC programmed in for scanning purposes.
As someone new to radio work, and actively learning, can someone help walk me through this? Will the Anytone D878 be able to do this or do I need a different setup?

Thanks
-Jzemire

ATCTech

That's a transceiver. Are you authorized to actually talk to anyone on any public safety or business network with it? And as randyf says, it's totally incompatible with the Motorola-based Fleetnet system anyway. You'd be much better served with a multi-mode digital scanning receiver.

Jzemire

I'm not authorized to talk with anyone on the public safety network. I just want to use it as a scanner. So what I'm getting is that I won't be able to pick anything up with the DMR transceiver?

ATCTech

Not for what you want to pick up, no. Fleetnet is an antiquated Motorola Type II trunking network that uses P25 digital audio for most users and analog for some, EMS being one of the analog audio users. If all you want "on the cheap" for now is to listen to EMS then a used Uniden BCD-396T handheld scanner or similar would work just fine. It will receive the digital audio P25 stuff on Fleetnet as well so you'd also have OPP too.

You can go to "the sky is the limit" from there and get the latest and greatest that receive P25, DMR, NXDN etc. fully-digital networks, but be prepared to approach or even exceed $700 by the time all is said and done.

Someone here is sure to recommend using a computer and a $30 USB "dongle" receiver, but that's totally inappropriate when you clearly want to be portable when on a site.

Pick your price point and level of interest in other stuff to listen to and we can collectively narrow it down for you.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
About the only thing you could do is program in the mobile repeaters and hope they have one operating at your event.

However, Georgian CACC uses NXDN portables for events in Simcoe County. If Hamilton CACC uses something similar, you’ll be SOL with that radio.

gary123

Also its a bad idea to be running around with what is obviously a 2 way radio programmed to a service at a public event. There are enough people there who would recognize the 'unfamiliar hardware' outputting the service. This could lead to very uncomfortable questions and possibly 'wackerism' or unauthorized use accusations. This could lead to confiscation of the hardware and possible repercussions with or from the people you are working for.

Remember a lot of guys who use these services legitimately can/do act as 'radio police' if they see something they dont like. Rather than have to try and explain RX only etc etc etc its easier and actually a bit more professional to just have a scanner.

Jzemire

Gary123, unlikely, I have other fellow volunteer medical responders who also use their two way for scanning. As they do, I was trying to set mine up for RX only. We work closely with Police and local Fire anyway. I'm not trying to connect my two way and actually transmit or communicate to a service with it. Simply to listen in, in case an ambulance is dispatched to our location and we're unaware of it.

mciupa

ATCTech gave you good advice on what you should buy.

Since you have no need for a transmitting radio perhaps you can sell it and use that capital to purchase a scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.