Hamilton County P25 garbled on 396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

iam4fsu

Hoping someone can help me fine tune my 396XT scanner settings. Hamilton County shows a very high P25 Error Rate and almost everything is garbled. The signal strength is +90%. ISP comes in crystal clear. I have the following settings set in my scanner.

Type: P25 Standard (Digital XT)
APCO Mode: Auto
Threshold: 8
Modulation: Auto

General Options Enabled:
Use Digital Motorola End Code - I just turned this on with little to no improvement
Enable I-Call

EDACS ID Format = Decimal

XT Options -
Enable Analog AGC
Enable Digital AGC

I am using FreeScan to program the scanner.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
NOT EDACS at all. Switch to the proper ID format, Digital AGC only no analog at all.
I am willing to bet you are experiencing Multipath Distortion. Location is everything, in relativity to the Antenna Sites.
The IDPS S3 HamCo is an P25 Simulcast. All the antenna sites broadcast the same thing at the same time. There is massive amounts of information on this topic in the wiki and the forum threads.

iam4fsu

In FreeScan there is EDACS ID Format, it's either Decimal or AFS. I'm betting it is ignored when System Type is not EDACS. I have the system type set to P25 Standard (Digital XT). There is another Motorola Type II / P25 setting. Is the system P25 Standard or Type II / P25? I will look into Multipath Distortion. Hoping there is a solution.

N9IIT

What you are experiencing is Simulcast Distortion. Depending on where you are in Westfield either the Hortonville or Carmel towers are the closest. I have no problem picking up Hortonville - I put my 436 in the north facing window and it's about 6 miles to the Hortonville tower.

GTO_04

What you are experiencing is Simulcast Distortion. Depending on where you are in Westfield either the Hortonville or Carmel towers are the closest. I have no problem picking up Hortonville - I put my 436 in the north facing window and it's about 6 miles to the Hortonville tower.

Exactly. You are going to have a certain amount of distortion with the 396 XT and it is normal on simulcast systems. I have the exact same issues with my PSR-500 and 996XT. I am 5 miles from the tower at the Sheriff's Dept and 6-7 miles from the Hortonville tower. If it is distorted all the time, you may want to try adjusting the decode settings. I don't have the link for that but will post it when I find it.

I find that I have more garbling on the Hamilton County system than with IDPS. But then again when I'm at work, I am a mile away from the Butler tower. Now that I have a Unication G5 I use it to monitor Hamilton County and it is flawless! Not that much more expensive than a new 436/536HP now.

ISP comes in very well because the Hortonville tower is not part of a simulcast system., hence no simulcast distortion. You might try moving your scanner around to different parts of the house and even a different location in the same room. Even that can make a difference.

GTO_04

N9IIT

I find that I have more garbling on the Hamilton County system than with IDPS.

ISP comes in very well because the Hortonville tower is not part of a simulcast system., hence no simulcast distortion. You might try moving your scanner around to different parts of the house and even a different location in the same room. Even that can make a difference.

GTO_04

IDPS Systems 1 and 2 are NOT simulcast systems though, right?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Yes they are. All 4 are p25 lsm

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

hammer51012

Hamilton County

Hoping someone can help me fine tune my 396XT scanner settings. Hamilton County shows a very high P25 Error Rate and almost everything is garbled. The signal strength is +90%. ISP comes in crystal clear. I have the following settings set in my scanner.

Type: P25 Standard (Digital XT)
APCO Mode: Auto
Threshold: 8
Modulation: Auto

General Options Enabled:
Use Digital Motorola End Code - I just turned this on with little to no improvement
Enable I-Call

EDACS ID Format = Decimal

XT Options -
Enable Analog AGC
Enable Digital AGC

I am using FreeScan to program the scanner.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

I wonder what tower and frequency you are using for Hamilton County?

hammer51012

Hamilton County P25 Question

I am trying to set up my Uniden BCD396XT for Hamilton County and am having trouble. I have heard that Hamilton County is using the Marion County P25 system, but has their own antenna in Hamilton County. I would like to know what frequencies to program. THANKS

GTO_04

I am trying to set up my Uniden BCD396XT for Hamilton County and am having trouble. I have heard that Hamilton County is using the Marion County P25 system, but has their own antenna in Hamilton County. I would like to know what frequencies to program. THANKS

It is in the database. Click on Hamilton County and you are looking for the system known as IDPS System 3.

GTO_04

Status
Not open for further replies.