Hamilton public safety digital switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbwrobel

from the sounds of it as the one post said above its possible considering the timeline thing that it shows in the document I posted....having said that though I highly doubt the entire system will be P25 for quite some time (hopefully sooner though - lets keep our fingers cross)....just as long as its not totally encrypted haha

mclove

Premium Subscriber
i dont think that so fast enc it wood cost to much i think they wait untill its all done 2013 if we are still alive lol

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
More then likely all new radios with P25 and ENC boards but the boards will be activated later on after they get the bugs out of the system and all equipment is converted. Thats my guess

vabiro

More then likely all new radios with P25 and ENC boards but the boards will be activated later on after they get the bugs out of the system and all equipment is converted. Thats my guess

I'm starting to get the impression that the major costs associated with running an encrypted system are actually related to key management and user support.

For example, I understand if the battery is removed (or dead) for more than a couple of minutes the encryption key is deleted from the HT. This creates a circumstance where the processes and procedures around battery management may have to change. There are costs associated with this.

Additional costs with key management tools, training and processes can also complicate what one would think was just a mater of doing an OTA push of keys when they wanted to enable the feature.

Just my $0.02

Victor

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
A Hand Held would not lose the key(s) that easy. Keys are expensive kind of like buying XP from Microsoft your required to buy a license for each machine. Same theroy with Motorola, now from what i have heard a key costs $700 us per unit so if you have 500 mobiles and 500 HH that's 1000 key licenses if they only use one key. Most usually go with 2 or 3 keys for a small police force like Orangeville its not that bad but Hamilton Police, Peel Police or OPP your talking alot of money just for the keys. If that price is correct, but that's what i heard a while ago

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
For example, I understand if the battery is removed (or dead) for more than a couple of minutes the encryption key is deleted from the HT.

Only if infinite retention is not enabled.

Otherwise, the keys last forever.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Keys are expensive kind of like buying XP from Microsoft your required to buy a license for each machine. Same theroy with Motorola, now from what i have heard a key costs $700 us per unit so if you have 500 mobiles and 500 HH that's 1000 key licenses if they only use one key.

I don't know where you get your information from but a key costs $0 and it doesn't have to be ordered from Motorola. The last thing most Public Safety agencies would want is for a 3rd party to have access to their keys. Better to generate and keep the keys in house.

The only cost is the encryption hardware and the keyloader. Once you've bought that your free to generate as many keys as you want and keyload your radios yourself.

Most smaller forces such as Orangeville would probably just have one key for everybody.

The OPP might have multiple keys for the different departments.

VE3RADIO

There is also DSP Software based encryption, for that a key can be entered directly through CPS with no key loader required.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Actually the more i think of it, its not the Key Motorola charges for, but the ENC feature would have to be activated per radio which would make more sense.. The key itself would be controlled by the agency itself.

Sorry never worked with that aspect of the radios, so going by hear say..

unlisted

I had a thread a while back on Hamilton Fire Pagers, and some info on Hamilton PS radio network in general.

As of this moment- pd, and fire are going P-25 with ENC. I think the full switch is within a year. I'll ask some questions later this week. Don't know about the municipal services like Parking enforcement and animal control, etc..

Lots of the vollie FF's in the area are complaining since they will not be able to hear the actual fire call on a scanner while responding. (Since they only use alpha pagers now)

unlisted

Full switch over (as of now) to happen Fall/Winter 2010. We have one year left.

Summer of 2010 will be when they make the "final decision" and officially announce what it will be. The enc on FD is being argued, but as of now, it will be enc.

Status
Not open for further replies.