Hampshire Fire on Tollway Maint TG

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT-112

Heard one of the Hampshire FD units try to contact tollway units while en route to a 10-50 on the maint TG - 2002. Not a patch.

Never heard an FD unit on that channel, only tow dispatchers (Redmonds, Ernies, etc)

Unknown if this is a trend or a one-off usage, or if they were supposed to be on another TG.

N9JIG

Sheriff
This is interesting. This is the first time I have heard of local agencies having direct access to State talkgroups (vs. mutual aid stuff).

JT-112

Yeah, first I've ever heard of this type of use...

Perhaps it's in relation to the I-90 construction. If so, it'll be interesting to see if that extends to agencies now on SC21 - Elgin, Hoffman Estates, Schaumburg, Arlington Heights...

Didn't the current District Chicago/Minutemen channel first start out with the Kennedy reconstruction?

MikeyC

Lee County SO units talk directly with ISP dispatch and ISP units on 1A when the need arises but I don't think I've heard any other agencies do that. I had to fill out a report in an ISP District 6 unit last year and she had her radio scanning Normal and Bloomington PD but I can't recall hearing any ISP units talk directly to them.

It's all the point of StarCom though, right? More interoperability? I would think this would happen more and not less but *shrug* For example, there was some sort of incident on I-88 this evening up in Lee County where an ISTHA HELP truck was following a vehicle that it wanted ISP to stop. The HELP truck had to go through the Maintenance dispatch in Oak Brook to get on the phone with ISP District 1 in Sterling rather than just changing the channel in the truck to 1A :) I don't know if Maintenance trucks have access to talkgroups like that, but I would think that would be a "good thing";

IDoT trucks in District Chicago talk directly with ISP troopers on Car-to-Car.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Never heard an FD unit on that channel, only tow dispatchers (Redmonds, Ernies, etc)

Man, where was this when I was towing off I-90??? That would have been nice!

I would hope it's more trend than just a one off..

JT-112

...and recently I've heard PD units come onto fire dispatch channels on the suburban Chicago SC21 systems.

Much nicer than radioing your PD dispatcher, and having that dispatcher talk to the FD dispatcher and then to FD. Lowers the workload, and the time delays involved as well.

MikeyC

Recently there was "enhanced enforcement" happening on I-80 with a handful of units from other districts working I-80. There was no K-9 unit on so one of the local PDs provided a K-9 unit for this and they just used a portable from another D17 unit for "interop" :)

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Neat info, since being able to hear all those guys so good on Starcom they sure work there tail's off and its very dangerous.....They got my vote!!...

KB9PN

Does any know whats going on with the Huntley , Il police dept. I don't hear them anymore . I heard they went digital . FCC shows P25 155.7675 don't know what system . Thanks ,

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
There is another freqy listed on the FCC marked (SC) special condition, 155.7525= WPPC452 along with 155.7675.....They both have a "analog and P25 emission.....Let us know.....

JT-112

I'd start a new thread for Huntley, it has nothing to do with this thread...

menkes

Not completely true. Huntley goes further west that Hampshire on I-90. I hear Elgin going to SEECOM freqs to help Huntley {155,495}. Look for Huntley PD on 155.43.

JT-112

Recently I heard a tollway maintenance "Help" truck talk to Schaumburg FD to provide directions to a crash - 95% sure it was on the Schaumburg FD TG - I don't have the maint. TG programmed on the radio that picked this up. Only other Tollway TG I have on that radio is D15 North.

melvin1987

Premium Subscriber
Tow trucks that are called onto the Tollway by the Authority by "Oak Brook" HQ, advise the dispatcher that they have arrived on the scene using the system-wide maintenance Talk Group 2002. Local PD and FD units can contact D15 troopers on IREACH to coordinate with them when responding to incidents on the tollway on TG 2037 which is D15's patch to IREACH.

JT-112

D15 units calling "Schaumburg" not Oakbrook?

I swear I've heard this just a few times, including once today. This would be on North TG.

I know of no Tollway facility or office in Schaumburg, much less one that would have a dispatcher on it.

Anyone else ever hear this? I was going to post this a while back and had convinced myself I had misheard until today.

Status
Not open for further replies.