• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

    Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

    If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

    To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

    The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

    For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

    This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.


Not open for further replies.


Jul 8, 2002
...it is G.M.R.S. (General Mobile Radio Service) not GRMS :roll:

An Amateur License gives access to Amateur Frequencies.
FCC: Wireless Services: Amateur Radio Service: Amateur Home
An GMRS License gives access to GMRS Frequencies.

There is no cross-over, there is no mixing of access and they are two different services.

I know I've seen it explicitly stated somewhere that a HAM license does not cover GRMS. I apologize I've been searching for over an hour, but it must be way down the google list. I've also read through the FCC site.

Maybe I'm just tired and missing it. It is extremely late. So if it's an easy find, I extremely apologize. My google-fu is usually quite strong.

I've run in to non-affiliated sites talking about it, but I need either a site that says fcc.gov or AARL when I print it to show the person I am having a discussion with, because of course I am not a HAM so the only credibility he will accept is either FCC or AARL.

I printed the article from AARL 7/07/2014 talking about the petition to allow HAMS that also hold a GRMS to use non-certified equipment. Which I would think implicitly states it, but that's not good enough. Although that will show my accuracy on another point.

Thanks for any assistance and I apologize that I just can't find it. Maybe it was on the online license app, I'm not sure.

I'll try tomorrow when I've had some sleep.


Nov 16, 2016
Upper Mojave,CA/NV
Thanks I was trying to delete the thread, and with no delete function, I was just removing the post and putting Please Delete, but I see you were super quick. Thank you very much.

Those don't say it explicitly, those were pages I read at the beginning of my hour search. But I did find an article on AARL so that will suffice.


Feed Provider Since 2012
Premium Subscriber
Jan 4, 2009
Only an Administrator can delete a thread but they rarely do so. To request it click on the red and white triangle in the upper right corner of your original post.
Not open for further replies.