Hamvention 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

racc

Premium Subscriber
Anybody goin to Hamvention in Dayton, Ohio this year? Only 5 days away. Scanner Master will probably be there. They give you a discount on there scanners if you pay with cash. There will probably be some info about the new bearcat scanners. RadioShack wasn't there last year. Maybe some info about Grecom and their future.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Whistler will have a booth at Dayton and told me they will display 4 scanners.

Anybody goin to Hamvention in Dayton, Ohio this year? Only 5 days away. Scanner Master will probably be there. They give you a discount on there scanners if you pay with cash. There will probably be some info about the new bearcat scanners. RadioShack wasn't there last year. Maybe some info about Grecom and their future.

mrkelso

Whistler will have a booth at Dayton and told me they will display 4 scanners.

I can't get there this year, Someone take a lot of pic's and post em when you get back. Waiting on these Whistler units.

Thanks

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
Whistler was there, Uniden wasn't. Scanner Master was there with Uniden products.

Darrin kb8ecf

Sent from the trenches of Cbus on my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk IV

mancow

Database Admin
Cold, rainy, sleet, windy. Weather totally sucked. Yaesu is still an amazing joke. They brought some of that digital stuff that they can't even explain how it works.

Whistler brought stuff that is just the same GRE stuff painted black.

TRBO seems to be where it's at now. P25 is falling to the wayside and everyone had a TRBO radio.

mancow

Database Admin
Every time I've been here it has been 80 something and I return to the hotel surnburned and ragged out. I had to go buy some warmer clothes. I knew it was going to be cool but this was beyond what I had expected.

mancow

Database Admin
BTW, Whistler rep said the new remote face model will be out at the end of the year before Christmas.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Some scanner company better get on the ball with MOTO-TRBO and Nexedge because on this weeks il-license grants from the FCC everyone in the sports, medical hospitals and malls are flocking to this mode.....

K4NNW

Yaesu is still an amazing joke. They brought some of that digital stuff that they can't even explain how it works.

I'm glad I ain't the only one who noticed that about Yaesu and their "System Fusion" hats. It seemed like they were trying to avoid the fact that their stuff is incompatible (the digital mode, that is) with anything else on the market, ham or LMR.
On an unrelated note, Kenwood hasn't said a single word about this digital stuff.

Hulca

Will our new X36 scanners be obsolete already?
MOTO-TRBO & Nexedge can be firmware updates for us?

I guess I need more info before I get nervous about this.

jdobbs2001

Cold, rainy, sleet, windy. Weather totally sucked. Yaesu is still an amazing joke. They brought some of that digital stuff that they can't even explain how it works.

Whistler brought stuff that is just the same GRE stuff painted black.

TRBO seems to be where it's at now. P25 is falling to the wayside and everyone had a TRBO radio.

UHF is full of TRBO radio and second, NXDN. a scanner that does neither is missing a good portion of activity. Right now SDR+ and a nooelec dongle is the way to go for conventional scanning. 18bucks and your good to go.

2016 is where I see new models coming out that will do TRBO/NXDN and proper P25 multicast via I/Q instead of discriminator tap like todays scanners.

XTS3000

The Whistler guy told me that 4 scanner models are done and being shipped via container ship. The 4 scanners are the lower end ones. I'm a Uniden guy myself, so I don't know the specific model numbers for GRE/Whistler.

So the 4 lower end scanners will show up this summer for sale, then the PSR 800 handheld clone will be released late summer/early fall. Then the remote head mobile scanner before Christmas.

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
Speaking of Trbo and such, I started to buy a Connect Systems Inc radio, but then stopped when the guy told me that around the first of the year they will have a multi platform radio on the market that will be firmware upgrade-able and hands me a sheet listing the CS7000 and CS7000wifi for $249. I wouldn't mind paying $1K + for something like this but I don't want buy a radio for each digital format at any cost. I'm sure this is going to drive the prices down.

A+ for CSI.

Connect Systems President Jerry Wanger announces plans to launch a combo DMR & D-STAR radio | VA3XPR

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
Speaking of Trbo and such, I started to buy a Connect Systems Inc radio, but then stopped when the guy told me that around the first of the year they will have a multi platform radio on the market that will be firmware upgrade-able and hands me a sheet listing the CS7000 and CS7000wifi for $249. I wouldn't mind paying $1K + for something like this but I don't want buy a radio for each digital format at any cost. I'm sure this is going to drive the prices down.

A+ for CSI.

Connect Systems President Jerry Wanger announces plans to launch a combo DMR & D-STAR radio | VA3XPR

Wow very cool, thanks for sharing.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Thank you for posting that. Maybe they can add APCO P25 in the future, too!

racc

Premium Subscriber
post hamvention 2014 conclusion

I went to Hamvention on friday. It rained in the morning and turned out nice and cool in the afternoon. This was one of the better hamventions. All the booths were filled indoors. Most of the booths were filled outside. I saw the Whistlers scanners and they looked just like the Grecoms. Scannermaster was there. Bearcat bcd436hp for 480 dollars at scannermaster. C.Crane wasn't there. I thought that was strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.