Hamvention

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Uniden seems to be striving to price their radios in the league with Icom or Yaesu or AOR. If you want the SDS200 with full options it's going to cost just under 1K as it is. Five-six years from now (or much sooner) I would not be surprised to see scanners sell for over 1K before mode options. Those of us in this hobby for a long time know that you have to pay to play. You want good radios, you will pay good money. I have a respect for Whistler that they did not think their new scanner attempt was good enough quality to satisfy their demanding customer base, therefore did not release a half-assed scanner just to dog Uniden. I hope they take their time and come out with a good scanner, and I hope they do it soon.

JD
kf4anc

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I haven't got my SDS 100 & 200 yet, but it looks like Whistler has got their work cut out for them. I was open to either as I checked in twice a year for the past few years until something came up I needed to get since the 369XT, and Uniden came close with a few models, while I haven't been sold or even use to that Object based tech. When I seen the build quality and the display of the SDS 100, that's been what I've been waiting for, as I'd know it when/if I'd see it, and I sure did! I mean, that big screen of the SDS 200 and build, I had to get both although rarely ever get a base unit anymore, which is why I probably wanted it. I think Radio Shack closed so that was probably their (Whistler) biggest market share I would assume? I just checked online, so they're still open. I either misheard or they will be closing? Anyway, it will be hard for them to get people interested that they lost here, so they need to find some good niche, along with a good product.

For me, it would have to be along the lines of outstanding audio and speaker, much better than Uniden to catch my interest. Back when new analog trunkers cost like $250-350, and/or along with a Rat Shack sale, you could buy one here or there for the hell of it. Now being $600 plus, it's almost real or as real as money gets. So they need to find some niche or options that scanner nerds would want, or be enough interest in to want to play with. They better get to doing some market research. I mean, their low-end design based upon the Pro-106 hasn't changed since before, the disaster called Obama. I got my Pro 106 in 2008/2009 I believe, and now I see the Pro 668 trying to sell on audio quality, but it's too simple as I wanted to program my own when it came out. I'm only now going to use s/w cuz too much alpha-numbers to punch in, sick of seeing mostly TG ID's and freq #'s, AND FINALLY, need to fill out a large display area. It's boxy, ugly, and still $500. I hope they make it as losing them will be costly to the hobby, and lack of competitions always sucks, and always ruins quality.

Wow, just wow. Very hard to follow that, but there are a few points to be clarified for you. Although by your own admission, you won't see it for 6 months.

Radio Shack went out of business in the brick and mortar stores in 2017. The online version is a company that licenses the name.

Whistler purchased the intellectual rights to GRE. GRE built the Pro-106 for Radio Shack. Their "low end" design is not "based upon the Pro-106," The Pro-106 and the WS-1040 are the same radio. In fact, the Pro-106 is based upon the PSR-500, which became the WS-1040.

The Pro-668 is not available anymore, so I'm not sure where you're getting the price on that radio. This was based on the GRE PSR-800 which became the WS-1080. I have a 1080 and I can assure you it is not "too simple," and to properly use it, you have to use software. Software is not a thing of the future when you are talking about scanners, it is very much a thing of the present and if you choose not to use it, you will be left in the dust of the technology.

Whistler doesn't need to find a niche, they shot themselves in the foot with the TRX-100/200 and what they truly need is to develop and market a radio capable of superior decoding of LSM. That is what people are looking for from the flagship models of both companies. Anything less will probably result in them having to find a niche, but more than likely, if they can't produce said radio, it will be the end of the scanner division.

Ubbe

"I do know but I'm not telling you or anyone else because I'm not allowed to tell." Ummm...thanks? I guess..?
That's what you always get from Uniden. I guess Whistler does the same now.

I would like Whistler to find a niche, an IQ dual receiver design. While one receiver monitors one channel the next channel in scan are monitored by the other receiver to speed up scan, or you could select to use the 2:nd receiver as a priority scan monitor, or whatever it could be useful for. Bluetooth, or at least WiFi with a really good phone app are a must, which then makes the scanners display and keypad less important and could be kept as basic and dull as todays Whistler scanners.

/Ubbe

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
749 retail dmr 60 nxdn 50 is 860 no tax and no shipping not sure where the othe140 is. I know I am old but the adding machine when I was in school was a pencil and paper but it still adds up to 860 this new math is so confusing.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
749 retail dmr 60 nxdn 50 is 860 no tax and no shipping not sure where the othe140 is. I know I am old but the adding machine when I was in school was a pencil and paper but it still adds up to 860 this new math is so confusing.
The SDS200 retails for $699, not $749...so no wonder your math is off, you're not even starting out with the correct numbers. :giggle:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I get it, but you've got to give some sort of information if you're representing a company with a product people are excited over. At least inject some humor, or pleasantness with your big "FU you get no information"

Whistler and Uniden just can’t win with you guys.

Whine when they miss a delivery 1/4 that they never made any guarantees on, and whine when they say they can’t say anything.

They don’t have to give you squat. They will release their next design when they do.

The entitlement of scanner users is mind boggling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scannersnstuff

Wow, just wow. Very hard to follow that, but there are a few points to be clarified for you. Although by your own admission, you won't see it for 6 months.

Radio Shack went out of business in the brick and mortar stores in 2017. The online version is a company that licenses the name.

Whistler purchased the intellectual rights to GRE. GRE built the Pro-106 for Radio Shack. Their "low end" design is not "based upon the Pro-106," The Pro-106 and the WS-1040 are the same radio. In fact, the Pro-106 is based upon the PSR-500, which became the WS-1040.

The Pro-668 is not available anymore, so I'm not sure where you're getting the price on that radio. This was based on the GRE PSR-800 which became the WS-1080. I have a 1080 and I can assure you it is not "too simple," and to properly use it, you have to use software. Software is not a thing of the future when you are talking about scanners, it is very much a thing of the present and if you choose not to use it, you will be left in the dust of the technology.

Whistler doesn't need to find a niche, they shot themselves in the foot with the TRX-100/200 and what they truly need is to develop and market a radio capable of superior decoding of LSM. That is what people are looking for from the flagship models of both companies. Anything less will probably result in them having to find a niche, but more than likely, if they can't produce said radio, it will be the end of the scanner division.

Deleted comment.

scannersnstuff

I think Whistler Wendy said it all, when she said that they have the in house talent to pull off a lsm following scanner. I am not scanner God, but imho, I think they are folding in the scanner division. If they intended to pursuit a lsm scanner, they would have just kept going. Although I am a self proclaimed Uniden fanboy. I would have liked to see/investigate a Whistler offering. No bash here.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Walk thru Hamvention video see how big the convention was.
Well done walkthrough, although you managed to not get to quite a few areas... I got tired of walking just watching the video, which is why I spent nearly all of the three days driving a six-passenger golf cart! :LOL:

mharris

Premium Subscriber
Whistler and Uniden just can’t win with you guys.

Whine when they miss a delivery 1/4 that they never made any guarantees on, and whine when they say they can’t say anything.

They don’t have to give you squat. They will release their next design when they do.

The entitlement of scanner users is mind boggling.

Not trying to be entitled; I'm sorry if it came across that way. You're right; they owe us nothing.

I was just commenting on the lack of people skills from the dude working the booth. There are ways to say FU pleasantly, but he had no idea how to do that. He's working in customer service and was the face of the company at the largest radio convention in the world. Maybe he was having a bad day. I'm being too hard on him, I know.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Not trying to be entitled; I'm sorry if it came across that way. You're right; they owe us nothing.

I was just commenting on the lack of people skills from the dude working the booth. There are ways to say FU pleasantly, but he had no idea how to do that. He's working in customer service and was the face of the company at the largest radio convention in the world. Maybe he was having a bad day. I'm being too hard on him, I know.

Maybe he was simply sick of hearing and reading all the bashing comments about his company. If I worked for Whistler and read many of the comments posted on these forums I'd have a bad day too. That's not to mention the hundreds of people that may have stopped by the booth to simply bash them for dropping the TRX-100/200.

mharris

Premium Subscriber
Maybe he was simply sick of hearing and reading all the bashing comments about his company. If I worked for Whistler and read many of the comments posted on these forums I'd have a bad day too. That's not to mention the hundreds of people that may have stopped by the booth to simply bash them for dropping the TRX-100/200.
Yeah, very true.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

Maybe how about you don’t speak for me.

There are heaps of threads by self entitled whiners on this forum, hell there was even entitled idiots threatening to sue over features that were not released, that took longer to release than Uniden wanted.

When, in the past, Uniden has even given a anticipated release date as general as a 1/4, the second the 1/4 is up, there are people whining they missed their release date.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
You are absolutely right, the "class action suit" some were touting against Uniden was a joke.

I apologize if I offended you, no offense was intended by my post. I certainly wasn't trying to speak for anyone. I was simply making the point that a person could seem a bit less friendly with all the negativity lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.