Hamvention

Status
Not open for further replies.

mharris

Premium Subscriber
I stopped by the both at Hamvention and asked for an IQ scanner update. I was given a rather apathetic, unfriendly answer. It was something to the effect of: "I do know but I'm not telling you or anyone else because I'm not allowed to tell." Ummm...thanks? I guess..?

prcguy

At Dayton I asked Wendy about future models and it sounds like they are working on new designs but its not something that can fit a specific schedule due to the magnitude of the task. I specifically asked if they are using in house design talent or outside and she indicated they have the necessary talent in house to complete a new design. Whatever they are doing they want it to be ready for prime time when its released and not something rushed to market. I'm good with that.

Where are the Hamvention comments, specifically Whistler?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I stopped by the both at Hamvention and asked for an IQ scanner update. I was given a rather apathetic, unfriendly answer. It was something to the effect of: "I do know but I'm not telling you or anyone else because I'm not allowed to tell." Ummm...thanks? I guess..?
Sounds like a good old NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) is in effect. After the no-go on the last announcement, why disclose any details until ready to launch?

For those that convey they will go elsewhere unless they know what is forthcoming, I say go and enjoy your new brand of equipment. Your loyalty is to features and clearly not to a manufacturer. You'll be back, or not, depending on the feature set. If one is having fun and enjoying the hobby, they're doing it right. One can always play the upgrade game of buying and selling. Others will happily purchase a used radio.

I prefer to wait instead of being on the cutting edge. Hardware and firmware bugs are not something I am in the mood to deal with anymore.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I wouldn't count Whistler finished until they tap out. Uniden beat them to the punch, for sure, and they may have suffered some customer casualties, but patience and attention to quality will persevere and I bet they produce a kick-butt radio. I will be hovering over my keyboard to buy one from the very first batch. I've been lucky so far, but not unscathed (broken battery latch clip) and I am no longer apprehensive as to being a first adopter anymore. Come on with it, Whistler. I got faith in you :)

JD
kf4anc

mharris

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a good old NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) is in effect. After the no-go on the last announcement, why disclose any details until ready to launch?

For those that convey they will go elsewhere unless they know what is forthcoming, I say go and enjoy your new brand of equipment. Your loyalty is to features and clearly not to a manufacturer. You'll be back, or not, depending on the feature set. If one is having fun and enjoying the hobby, they're doing it right. One can always play the upgrade game of buying and selling. Others will happily purchase a used radio.

I prefer to wait instead of being on the cutting edge. Hardware and firmware bugs are not something I am in the mood to deal with anymore.
I get it, but you've got to give some sort of information if you're representing a company with a product people are excited over. At least inject some humor, or pleasantness with your big "FU you get no information"

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I get it, but you've got to give some sort of information if you're representing a company with a product people are excited over. At least inject some humor, or pleasantness with your big "FU you get no information"
True, delivery is key.

beischel

I wouldn't count Whistler finished until they tap out. Uniden beat them to the punch, for sure, and they may have suffered some customer casualties, but patience and attention to quality will persevere and I bet they produce a kick-butt radio. I will be hovering over my keyboard to buy one from the very first batch. I've been lucky so far, but not unscathed (broken battery latch clip) and I am no longer apprehensive as to being a first adopter anymore. Come on with it, Whistler. I got faith in you :)

JD
kf4anc

As soon as they said there was no TRX-200 coming out, I gave up waiting and set my sights on the SDS-200; so I am one of those customer casualties you referenced. I decided to wait until the Hamvention to see if there was a better deal and there was at the Hamvention. So I told the folks there that I was very concerned with the Simulcast audio break-ups that I experienced with other scanners from Uniden and Whistler. I was told that the SDS-200 would not have issues in the Cincinnati area that they did a set-up for a local news agency and the SDS-200 worked perfect. Brought one home on Saturday, put in my zip and it does indeed work without issue. I missed so much in the past with my Whistler TRX-2. The SDS-200 is incredible. I really wanted a Whistler, but could not wait any longer for a scanner that solves the Simulcast P25 audio issues. Too bad. I hope Whistler does not take too long to bring something to market.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
As soon as they said there was no TRX-200 coming out, I gave up waiting and set my sights on the SDS-200; so I am one of those customer casualties you referenced. I decided to wait until the Hamvention to see if there was a better deal and there was at the Hamvention. So I told the folks there that I was very concerned with the Simulcast audio break-ups that I experienced with other scanners from Uniden and Whistler. I was told that the SDS-200 would not have issues in the Cincinnati area that they did a set-up for a local news agency and the SDS-200 worked perfect. Brought one home on Saturday, put in my zip and it does indeed work without issue. I missed so much in the past with my Whistler TRX-2. The SDS-200 is incredible. I really wanted a Whistler, but could not wait any longer for a scanner that solves the Simulcast P25 audio issues. Too bad. I hope Whistler does not take too long to bring something to market.

Hi Duffy,

My SDS 100 works very well from most of my frequented locations in west Clermont. My whistler trx1 works surprisingly well in many of the same locations after adjusting the dsp, dac and adc. My 436 is at best fair but aircare tg 21006 is terrible.

Still considering the sds200 for home and selling the 436 and 536.

Did you catch the comms on Clermont Tac 1 yesterday?

Nick
WB4SQI

beischel

Hi Duffy,

My SDS 100 works very well from most of my frequented locations in west Clermont. My whistler trx1 works surprisingly well in many of the same locations after adjusting the dsp, dac and adc. My 436 is at best fair but aircare tg 21006 is terrible.

Still considering the sds200 for home and selling the 436 and 536.

Did you catch the comms on Clermont Tac 1 yesterday?

Nick
WB4SQI

No, I was out most of the day yesterday. But Nick, I would like to know the settings you have on your TRX1. A couple of years ago, Wendy gave me some suggestions to make when I spoke to her at Dayton. While they did improve things, the scanner still misses a lot and I still get broken audio.....just not as bad. Would like to know your settings to compare to mine; and if different, I'll try yours in my TRX2 to see if it makes it better. The SDS200 doesn't miss a thing, BTW and works great on Aircare digital or analog.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Dac is still at 64, went down to 56 but didn’t notice a change. Adc and dac are both at -1. I’m using the Remtronix 800mhz antenna. I noticed Aircare yesterday on my sds100 was perfectly readable. I’ll listen to the trx1 over the weekend to try and catch Aircare.

RogerH11

I haven't got my SDS 100 & 200 yet, but it looks like Whistler has got their work cut out for them. I was open to either as I checked in twice a year for the past few years until something came up I needed to get since the 369XT, and Uniden came close with a few models, while I haven't been sold or even use to that Object based tech. When I seen the build quality and the display of the SDS 100, that's been what I've been waiting for, as I'd know it when/if I'd see it, and I sure did! I mean, that big screen of the SDS 200 and build, I had to get both although rarely ever get a base unit anymore, which is why I probably wanted it. I think Radio Shack closed so that was probably their (Whistler) biggest market share I would assume? I just checked online, so they're still open. I either misheard or they will be closing? Anyway, it will be hard for them to get people interested that they lost here, so they need to find some good niche, along with a good product.

For me, it would have to be along the lines of outstanding audio and speaker, much better than Uniden to catch my interest. Back when new analog trunkers cost like $250-350, and/or along with a Rat Shack sale, you could buy one here or there for the hell of it. Now being $600 plus, it's almost real or as real as money gets. So they need to find some niche or options that scanner nerds would want, or be enough interest in to want to play with. They better get to doing some market research. I mean, their low-end design based upon the Pro-106 hasn't changed since before, the disaster called Obama. I got my Pro 106 in 2008/2009 I believe, and now I see the Pro 668 trying to sell on audio quality, but it's too simple as I wanted to program my own when it came out. I'm only now going to use s/w cuz too much alpha-numbers to punch in, sick of seeing mostly TG ID's and freq #'s, AND FINALLY, need to fill out a large display area. It's boxy, ugly, and still $500. I hope they make it as losing them will be costly to the hobby, and lack of competitions always sucks, and always ruins quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.