Hand held radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD8NIV

Have a BF-F8HP hand held radio and a Tram 1158 mag mount on the roof, of my home, and so far have been able to hit 3 repeaters........what do you all think about the Diamond 200 base antenna for a upgrade to start off with ?...

N0IU

I can't imagine that you wouldn't do better with the Diamond antenna as opposed to a much smaller mag mount. The Diamond certainly has good reviews, but regardless of which antenna you put up,the most crucial factor with VHF/UHF antennas is elevation. The higher you can get any antenna, the better!

TheSpaceMann

Have a BF-F8HP hand held radio and a Tram 1158 mag mount on the roof, of my home, and so far have been able to hit 3 repeaters........what do you all think about the Diamond 200 base antenna for a upgrade to start off with ?...
Since you are just starting off, why don't you just homebrew a simple ground plane? You can put it together for only a few bucks, and it could substantially increase your range! When I first started off, I built one for 2 meters, and I was able to triple the number of repeaters I could talk on!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.