• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

hand held verses vehicle mounted question

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickycreationz

Premium Subscriber
Hi all, I have never used a cb radio so please bare with me on this. I have a jeep I am mounting a cb to I have a firestick pro antenna. I have such a limited amount of room and almost no where I want to mount a vehicle based cb I am looking to possibly buy a good handheld and plug it into my firestick and charger. Therefore will this work? Maybe as good as a regular sized vehicle mounted one? Thank you for your input much coveted

DaveJacobsen

It'll work... It'll get beat up bouncing around on the trail, plus the strain on the connections and extra cable getting in the way...

Hopefully you aren't using a mag mount.

I've never had good luck with handhelds, but if that's your goal, it will work, IMHO probably not as well as a mounted unit.

stickycreationz

Premium Subscriber
Ok thank you for the input. Whats your opinion on a compact mounted one? Better than handheld? Rear mounted firestick pro on wrangler im using. Only 3 foot long though

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hi all, I have never used a cb radio so please bare with me on this. I have a jeep I am mounting a cb to I have a firestick pro antenna. I have such a limited amount of room and almost no where I want to mount a vehicle based cb I am looking to possibly buy a good handheld and plug it into my firestick and charger. Therefore will this work? Maybe as good as a regular sized vehicle mounted one? Thank you for your input much coveted

With external power and an external antenna, it should work just fine.

Will it work well? Hard to say. Big issue I've always seen is that the portable radios have smaller speakers and are harder to hear at highway speeds. Also, having it sitting in your center console with coaxial cable and power cables gets to be an annoyance in my opinion.

There are some mighty small CB's out there now, have you looked at any of them?
I very, very rarely use CB, but when I was doing a long trip a few years back, I purchased the CMX560, same radio as above without weather channels and a few other functions. The RF deck portion is about the size of a small paperback book. All the controls are in the hand held control head. The cable between the control head and hand held part is just 4 pair cable and I was easily able to extend it with an Ethernet patch cord. I mounted the RF deck behind my rear seat with my other radios, and just had the control head up front. I added an external speaker to help since the small speaker in the mic can be a bit hard to hear.
Benefit to that type of install is that it's always there, it's hidden well, you can disconnect the mic when you are not using, it can be permanently wired and tucked up out of the way under the dash, under a seat, etc.

stickycreationz

Premium Subscriber
Well you have me thinking to reconsider my radio to a mounted one for sure.. thank you for ur input very much appreciated

russbrill

With external power and an external antenna, it should work just fine.

Will it work well? Hard to say. Big issue I've always seen is that the portable radios have smaller speakers and are harder to hear at highway speeds. Also, having it sitting in your center console with coaxial cable and power cables gets to be an annoyance in my opinion.

There are some mighty small CB's out there now, have you looked at any of them?
I very, very rarely use CB, but when I was doing a long trip a few years back, I purchased the CMX560, same radio as above without weather channels and a few other functions. The RF deck portion is about the size of a small paperback book. All the controls are in the hand held control head. The cable between the control head and hand held part is just 4 pair cable and I was easily able to extend it with an Ethernet patch cord. I mounted the RF deck behind my rear seat with my other radios, and just had the control head up front. I added an external speaker to help since the small speaker in the mic can be a bit hard to hear.
Benefit to that type of install is that it's always there, it's hidden well, you can disconnect the mic when you are not using, it can be permanently wired and tucked up out of the way under the dash, under a seat, etc.

If the OP has my luck, he'll install a 27 MHz radio nice and neat, then next year, his jeep club will switch to GMRS :(

Ct_Pirate

Just revived the need for communication equipment
Premium Subscriber
I also have a Jeep and space it very limited. I use a gun magnet glued to the ps of the center console, and then just put this mini cb on the magnet when I want to use it and it plugs into the cigarette lighter. I have a fixed antenna on the tire rack but a buddy is using a mag mount on the cowl. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07R68N...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

its the size of a pack of cigarettes and I keep it in the glovebox for storage

Status
Not open for further replies.