hand mic on 2200h and 208h... still junk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mparker

while researching these 2 radios they both use the same hand mic ; HM-133V. after some google'ing turns out the PTT button is a bit problematic... granted some of the info i was reading was a few years old.

just wondering of icom has addressed the problem?

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
while researching these 2 radios they both use the same hand mic ; HM-133V. after some google'ing turns out the PTT button is a bit problematic... granted some of the info i was reading was a few years old.

Not as far as I know.... The problem is that the contacts in the microswitch on the PTT get dirty. It happened to mine.

I resolved it by taking the mic apart, getting a cotton swab, dipping it in some rubbing alcohol, then using the head of the swab to work the switch back and forth in a manner that allowed the alcohol to get into the switch.

Let it dry for a few hours, and it was good as new.

mparker

oh ok. good to know its a simple fix... i was looking to pick up these to radios soon...

fineshot1

Actually there are several versions of this mic and all are very similar.

133V, 133S and just plain 133. I have a 208H and a 800H and so far
have not encountered a problem with either but I have heard of the
micro switch problem. Most of the complaints have come from the
amateur appliance users who don't seem to know how or seem to
want to experiment on how to do minor fixes on these things.

EDIT: There is also plenty of these sold on ebay at a pretty reasonable price.

The micro switch is also easy to replace if necessary and requires
only the very basic of soldering skills.

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
I've been using various Icom equipment for about 8 years now and I haven't had any trouble out of any of my mics. I have two 2100s, a 2200, and an 8000 and they are all doing just fine. My 2200 was bought a couple years ago. All three radios have the mic models that were mentioned above (133 series)

73s

Chad

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Switches

I have 2 ICOM 208H and they both have had mic problems. Seems to be HEAT related, when left in a HOT car they won't transmit or (KEY) the radio. If you turn on the A/C and hold the MIC to cool it works OK. I have replaced the switches and it works till they get HOT again.

KC9LVX

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
i have the id800h and it is usually in truck with 100 plus degree temps and no problem. It did go out one time in the spring last year but I opened up mic used contact cleaner and Q-Tips and cleaned out the micro ptt real good and it has been working great since then...

W2NJS

One way out of any Icom mobile microphone problem is to get one of their 118TN mics and use it in place of the 133. The 118 only has TT and UP/DOWN buttons but I never use any of the buttons, except the UP/DOWN on the 133 anyway. I believe that in fact any Icom mobile mic with an RJ45 connector will work on the 208 radio so you can use the commercial mics if you find one.

Another fix on the 133 is to remove the black cloth over the mic element and enlarge the hole in the front of the case for the mic element. Makes a fantastic difference in the mic's sensitivity..

Status
Not open for further replies.