• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

handcuff question

Status
Not open for further replies.

landonjensen

hello
i was looking through a police company that sells police equipment, and i saw a pair of handcuffs that are colored red or yellow?
what is the use of them being that color? and also what are the disadvantages/ advantages between hinged cuffs, and chain cuffs?
thnks

car2back

our county jail uses orange & yellow cuffs so as not to confuse them with the officers' sets.

HInged cuffs hold the arms closer together. They also dont twist one end around so you know you have them both facing the same way for that click click both arms are now locked.

You see with both types you just grab the middle and push one side then the other for a real quick lock up. Most trouble (resists) will start with the first arm being cuffed. Thats when the oh **** I am going to jail hits. With holding them that way and a little practice you can get both arms cuffed real fast.

kd5bff

Handcuffs

Another difference with hinged and chained is that it makes it harder for suspects to uncuff themselves. Check you local policy because I have seen agencies that do not allow hinged cuffs. I have a pair of peerless chain cuffs that I have had for years, but I prefer the hinged. Hope this helps.
Chris

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
It's nearly impossible for a suspect to step thru hinged cuffs unless they pop a shoulder out of joint.

Dubbin

Premium Subscriber
kd5bff said:
Another difference with hinged and chained is that it makes it harder for suspects to uncuff themselves.
Umm is it the hinged or chained that makes it harder? :wink:

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
I think by far the best restraint would have to be the dreaded Chinese finger trap.

If you have ever used one of these :lol: trust me there a stinker.:)

I would actually would prefer to use the so called high security cuffs. These are hinged and instead of a standard warded type mechanism there a pin tumbler. Much like a lock in a door knob accept this is just the plug part that resides above the cuff. All personal preference I believe.

Hand cuffs are also black.

cristisphoto

LOL
Hey what is life with out the fun side...
I say combine the dark with the Lighter and MMMM

YA know what I'm saying lol
Buy seriously though does anyone in the Public Safety Community use Thumb cuufs???

Crista

cristisphoto

I would think for transport
BUt then it can cause Physical harm the Datainee or aresttee.
Hence lawsuits..
Now I think
NOT KNOW LOL
that it would be inpractical in the streets as often you have to subdues the detainee or aresttee..
your not gonna have the time or option to throw on all kinds of cuffs at first..
Tha why they have this "trick", where you have you "normal", "bent in
so ya can slap it on the wrist and it slam it closed then you just tighten or loose..
Undersatnd???
anyways, LOL
I have Never Seen any one use these thumb cufs
but they are still around leading me to belive that Someone uses them for Something

Crista

Stephen

I know in the Department that I work for we just got told that only Hinged Cuffs are to be used on subjects.

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
The only thing I don't like about hinged cuffs is that, if in the heat of the moment you accidently put them on upside down with the keyholes facing the ground, since they are so hard to maneuver they can be a Bey0tch to get to the keyholes. I THINK that ASP makes a pair of their double keyway cuffs with hinges instead of chains, but I don't remember where I saw them for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.