Handheld 2m/70cm with broader reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdenfuny

Premium Subscriber
I like by shortwave radio, but I don't like carrying around multiple radios. What are the options for a handheld transceiver (2m/70cm) that receives on other bands like HF (including the CB frequencies) and other analog frequencies that a cheaper radio scanner will receive? I know about the Yeasu VX-R3, but are there others? How good is the reception on these handhelds? (I wouldn't assume that they are as good as a dedicated shortwave receiver.)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's not so much the receiver as the antenna. A good shortwave antenna on a handheld is kind of oxymoronic.

tdenfuny

Premium Subscriber
I guess my question is more along the lines of how it would compare to for example an ICOM r6. I get that it is not a dedicated receiver and that the antenna is important, but handheld receivers aren't uncommon.

Sporrt

I like by shortwave radio, but I don't like carrying around multiple radios. What are the options for a handheld transceiver (2m/70cm) that receives on other bands like HF (including the CB frequencies) and other analog frequencies that a cheaper radio scanner will receive? I know about the Yeasu VX-R3, but are there others? How good is the reception on these handhelds? (I wouldn't assume that they are as good as a dedicated shortwave receiver.)

The Kenwood TH-F6A receives SSB, has a built in ferrite bar. Can hook up a long wire antenna.

Transmits, 2 meter, 220, 440.

majoco

Stirrer
I have a little Yaesu VX-2 that I keep in the car and I put a 2m/7cm magmount on the roof when going on long journeys - it works very well as a VHF/UHF scanner too. On the magmount, HF reception is near useless and on a longwire the front end is swamped with broadcast band intermod. So I take along my Degen 1103 for HF listening.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Kenwood TH-F6A. Amateur radio tri-band transceiver for 2m/222/440. Receives AM broadcast, AM shortwave, SSB on the amateur HF bands, FM broadcast, AM aircraft. The radio has an internal ferrite bar antenna that is only effective on strong signals. But, if you connect it to a long wire antenna, it hears fairly well.

Status
Not open for further replies.