• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Handheld and small table top

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFI-EMI-GUY

A wise man once said, if you wait until an emergency to use your radios, you will usually find that when there is an emergency that the radio doesn't work, or you don't know how to use it!

Very true. Your regular radio and your emergency radio system should be one in the same. Design to that end.

Adding digital to the mix, makes it even worse for reception.
Analog will get through where digital might not.

There was a penalty using Securenet DES CVSD because the amount of frames lost when a signal faded were significant. Intelligibility suffered. Later DES-XL fixed that penalty at the cost of some fidelity.

But this is no longer a problem with modern schemes. The new vocoders IMBE, AMBE and error correction schemes actually improve the signal reliability measurably. You get that wacky P25 "R2D2" audio but at a greater distance than analog.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Digital schemes can cover up to 35% better than analog just because of the robustness of their modulation schemes and receivers which outperform analog in digital operation. Also when most hams give their opinion about analog 5 kHz deviation versus digital, they fail to remember 5 kHz deviation is not the standard upon which analog communications are measured anymore. 2.5 kHz which covers roughly 20% less than 5 kHz did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drey7

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I've been checking into TYT MD-390 vs MD-398 and was told the following:

>The differences between 398 and 390 is that MD-398/368
>are 10 watt and one time slot for repeater , and MD-390/280/380/446 '
>are all 5 watt and two time slots for repeater

I can't seem to make sense of my google searches explaining the time slots. Can anyone please explain what that means?

By the way... looking into the licensing for those above that were concerned. I've no intention of using them illegally.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.