• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Handheld antenna options

Status
Not open for further replies.

srbecker58

Looking to be enlightened on my antenna options. I am obviously open to opinions, knowledge and other options, but I am currently between two antennas and do not know which is best.

The two antennas are:
Nagoya 771g (1/2 wave?)
Nagoya 701g (1/4 wave?)

The radio I am looking to add a better antenna to will be a Wouxun 905G that is currently on backorder.

I am leaning more towards the 701 because it is shorter and will make more sense on a handheld, but I also want to see what everyone else thinks is the better antenna. What do the 1/4 and 1/2 waves mean and is the nuisance of the longer antenna worth the benefits over the 701G. I can only assume based on reviews, but is the 701G really that much better of an antenna over a stock antenna such as the one that comes on the Wouxun 905G?

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

WB9YBM

The two antennas are:
Nagoya 771g (1/2 wave?)
Nagoya 701g (1/4 wave?)

I am leaning more towards the 701 because it is shorter and will make more sense on a handheld, but I also want to see what everyone else thinks is the better antenna. What do the 1/4 and 1/2 waves mean and is the nuisance of the longer antenna worth the benefits over the 701G. I can only assume based on reviews, but is the 701G really that much better of an antenna over a stock antenna such as the one that comes on the Wouxun 905G?

Imagine the antenna being the core of an apple; the shape of the apple represents the radiation pattern of a 1/4 wave antenna. Great pattern if you want the signal to go upwards (like to the repeater antenna located on a nearby tall building) as much as it will reach outwards (towards the horizon) for simplex work.

Now if you want to reach further to the horizon, gain antennas will take a "slice" off the top of the apple and add that to the side--decreasing upward signal radiation and pushing the horizontal signal outward by the same amount. The higher the gain of the antenna (like going from a 1/4-wave to a 1/2-wave, etc.), the more upward signal is sacrificed and added to the sides.

In the on-air discussions I've heard, several folks who've done actual field testing have said the 3/8-wave antenna is the best middle-ground antenna--although depending on frequency, these might be hard to find (and I have not confirmed the results first-hand, although I trust the sources I've heard).

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So, antenna design will show that a 1/4 wave antenna requires a ground plane under it to work well. A 1/2 wave does not require a ground plane, but will work better with one.
The radio chassis acts as a counterpoise, and that can work well. Some radios are getting pretty small and are not large enough to provide a good counterpoise. The user, holding the radio, can capacitively couple with the radio chassis and help that.
A 1/2 wave should, on paper, give you more gain.
But as WB9WBM mentioned above, the antenna radiation pattern comes into play. Gain antennas achieve their improved performance by 'smashing' down the radiation pattern to direct more radiation towards the horizon. This works well in mobile/base applications where the antenna is, or is nearly, vertical.
It can be a drawback on portables where the user may not be holding it perfectly vertical.

Probably why you see reports of the 1/4 wave working better is exactly because of what WB9WBM said above. It's more forgiving to off-kilter users.

So, answer is:
Depends on how you use your radio. If it's mostly hand held, moving around a lot, the 1/4 wave will probably have the edge, and it won't poke you in the eye as often.
If the radio is sitting on a desk, then the 1/2 wave will likely have the edge.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A longer antenna also puts more stress on the connector, so if range isn't a concern, keep the length and weight down.

Excellent point. Often the weakest part of a radio is the antenna jack. You'll read of instances where the solder joint to the circuit board fractures and either stops working all together or gets annoyingly intermittent.

Don't even get me started on people that pick up the radio by the antenna….

srbecker58

Haha, I bought my Radioddity GM-30's to hold me over until my 905 comes in and he was picking the one up by the antenna and swinging it around. Thats when I said, nevermind, took it away and bought him his own $20 radio with a flashlight on it to play with. He can break that one all he wants.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The 771 will get out farther, but the 701 is more compact. Neither antenna is rigid enough to be concerned about breaking the SMA connector.

The G variants are tuned for GMRS and business band, rather than amateur. If you're using the radio for amateur frequencies, you don't want the G version.

srbecker58

I will be using it for GMRS as I only have that license currently. As far as I know, the GM-30 only transmits on 1-30 and the Wouxun 905 is a gmrs radio so i don't think you can transmit on non gmrs frequencies. Unless I am mistaken

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
For what it's worth, I own both, but non-g versions. The 771 does very little compared to the 701...really not even noticeable. Where I do see a major difference is on VHF.

NYRHKY94

I have the KG-905G and use the Nagoya 771g with it. From my personal experience, you will be pleased with both. The radio is solidly built & feature rich and pairs nicely with the antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.