Handheld antenna recommendations pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

wisesteward

Hello all,

I am brand new to scanning. I have a Radio Shack Pro 97 and am looking to purchase an antenna for better performance. My key area of interest is aviation but I want to be able to scan the other bands from time to time also. I see four contenders as worthwhile antennas but am asking for your feedback and also to point out what I may have missed or not considered. I appreciate your help and the availability of this group.

A) The Maldol AH-W100RX scanner receive antenna covers 70 to 900 MHz. The telescoping base is marked with a chart. You can extend one to eight elements to optimize reception in a given band. It features a double fold-over hinge for convenience. The telescopic whip antenna is 40 inches extended, but collapses down to 8 inches. It terminates to a male BNC plug.
B) The Maldol AL-500H scanner antenna is optimized to receive the commercial and government air bands. This rubber duck style antenna provides peak performance from 116-174 and 230-360 MHz. The telescopic whip antenna is 20 inches. It terminates to a male BNC plug.
C) The Diamond RH77CA is an HT antenna for transmit on 2 meters and 440 MHz. It is a 1/4 wave on 2 meters and a 1/2 wave on 440. It can additionally receive these bands: 120, 150, 300, 450, 800 and 900 MHz. As a result of this exceptional coverage, we actually sell more of these antennas to scanner listeners than hams! It is a favorite model for scanner enthusiasts, and for those using the new breed of wideband handheld radios. This thin, flexible, black antenna is 16 inches (40 cm) tall. Gain is a 2.15 dBi (440 MHz), provides up to six times the performance of regular antennas. This antenna terminates to a 50 ohm BNC connector.
D) The Watson W889 25-1900MHz Telescopic 5.5" to 16" Extended. Telescopic 25-1900 MHz scanner antenna is 5.5" collapsed but extends to 16" for optimum performance.

Any experience with these on a RS-Pro97 or other help for a newbie? Best regards, Jerry.

timmer

My vote goes to the Maldol ah500. It's hard to beat for air monitoring. The Watson 889 is a really good antenna also, if you're not concerned with the size of it when fully extended. I'm sure there's other opinions out there. The diamond is also a very top notch antenna, maybe just slightly behind the Maldol.

DELCOLHFC

A vote for the RH77CA

I can only comment on the Diamond RH77CA as I have never used any of the others. I have been very pleased with the performance gain over the stock 97 ducky, and I plan on picking up a few more to help out my other handhelds.

Concrete1

My choices for you would be:
1) The Maldol AL-500H - Works great, better than the original antenna, even at most "non-air" frequencies.
2) The ANLI RD-88H - More flexible than the AL-500, similar to the Diamond 77, but with a Gold-Plated BNC connector & possible minor performance plus. Less expensive than the Maldol .
The AH-100 telescopic is good, works below the rated 70Mhz, but is cumbersom ....

rjag1946

antena

I picked up a pro 97 couple yrs. back and got the dimond RH77CA for it. Verry happy with it! Picking up all kinds of stuff. ham,police,aircraft,grms,RR Bg Anch. Ak.

Status
Not open for further replies.