Handheld carrying case

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Hello all, I’m looking for a good carrying case that would contain the following:

1 ID-52
1 R-30
1 D878UV
1 antenna for each radio
1 spare battery for each radio
a few AA batteries
a few USB cables

Ideally I would like a rigid case not a backpack style. Do you have any suggestions ?

Many thanks
73 de VA2FCS

rf_patriot200

Hello all, I’m looking for a good carrying case that would contain the following:

1 ID-52
1 R-30
1 D878UV
1 antenna for each radio
1 spare battery for each radio
a few AA batteries
a few USB cables

Ideally I would like a rigid case not a backpack style. Do you have any suggestions ?

Many thanks
73 de VA2FCS
Beeelectronics.com makes Excellent cases.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I use a Pelican 1495. It handles six radios, plus the other gear. You can probably get away with smaller for three. USB cables are under the SDR. The Panasonic AA battery charger has a USB port for charge/pwr and that grey thing in the middle is an AC to USB transformer. The plastic box at the top left holds various BNC to whatever adapters. ( My R30 has an SMA to BNC adapter already on it ) The Pelican also comes with a shoulder strap.

It has a combination lock on the front, plus four (2 front & 2 side) latches to hold it shut. I think I could throw this thing off a cliff and it would stay shut. As k6cpo noted, a Harbor Freight Apache 4800 case may suffice for the gear you want to store. That is $60 U.S.D. and significantly less expensive, even with whatever shipping to you. I use some of those various sized cases as well.

The interior specs on this are:
18.87 x 13.12 x 3.81 in (47.9 x 33.3 x 9.7 cm)
The bottom depth is: 2.68" (6.8 cm)

I left padding on the bottom and top is as new. Additionally, there are two Thales antennas in the slot, plus some Diamonds. The Icom R30 is there in the middle with a case on it.

IMG_2041.jpg

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Putting radios on their sides is the key to saving space in these hard shell cases.

How did you make the nice holes for the batteries?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Yes, space is très importante. I placed the various items on top of the foam to figure the layout before cutting.

As to the batteries, the foam pick-a-part on the Pelican is smaller than the Apache. I probably used a scalpel or scissors to remove the single square down enough to leave the upper battery accessible. Also, what you do not see is a flat LED light that normally inserts into a knit hat. It easily pokes into the top of the foam case and provides enough light. That rubber nub comes off and it charges via USB. It's around the size of a silver dollar.

51KWxB0ZgfL._AC_SX569_.jpg

To those that may wonder why so many scanners, yes I really do use them simultaneously. While one scanner could cover all of the frequencies and modes, by limiting the number of frequencies per scanner I improve the odds of getting a hit. The Icom R30 allows me to dial up and focus on particular frequencies of interest while the others keep scanning. Yeah, I know. It's a disease hobby.

What I do not have in there is this K&L diplexer that handles 20-500 MHz and 520-1300 MHz. Thus, that flashlight on the left will be displaced shortly.
KLDiplexer .jpg

Last edited:

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
This is a very nice setup, thanks for the picture. I will look to all the suggestions.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
On Pelican’s website the 1495 seems to be a laptop case with the foam already cut to fit a laptop.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Pelican would not know the size of one’s laptop. The bottom foam is full and the buyer cuts to fit their needs. One can even purchase replacement pick-a-part foam for the bottom for $30 on Amazon, should the need to use it for something else at times.

Also, I would not pick it apart. I have always used scissors or a scalpel, but mostly scissors. I cut short and gently fit the product in and cut more as needed.

There are other sizes and brands out there. I suggest you lay out your gear and measure the overall width, height and depth you need. You have a Princess Auto nearby in Laval. They also have the inexpensive cases like Harbor Freight. I am presuming you are in Quebec. A hands on experience is helpful.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Similar to what @vagrant did, this is what we use for our rental kits at work:

fKuW2QO.jpg

I think that's a Pelican 1640. I've got two set up like that.

You can get different size cases from Pelican, or as noted above, the Harbor Freight boxes are a good choice. Harbor Freight is cheaper and nearly as good. Plus, if you wait a few minutes, HF will have some sort of sale, discount, parking lot sale, or coupon. If you are not already signed up on their website, do so, they'll bombard you with coupons/discounts. I got a 25% off the other day because I hadn't been in for a few months. Many different size/color cases to fit your needs.

Also, look up user @pb_lonny he's done some interesting cases to transport radios. He's out of Tasmania, so brands/stores will be different. But he's got some interesting solutions that might give you some additional ideas:

Last edited:

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Pelican would not know the size of one’s laptop. The bottom foam is full and the buyer cuts to fit their needs. One can even purchase replacement pick-a-part foam for the bottom for $30 on Amazon, should the need to use it for something else at times.

Also, I would not pick it apart. I have always used scissors or a scalpel, but mostly scissors. I cut short and gently fit the product in and cut more as needed.

There are other sizes and brands out there. I suggest you lay out your gear and measure the overall width, height and depth you need. You have a Princess Auto nearby in Laval. They also have the inexpensive cases like Harbor Freight. I am presuming you are in Quebec. A hands on experience is helpful.

Indeed i am in Laval, i will check out Princess Auto. Thanks for the info.

stevez97

Premium Subscriber
Similar to what @vagrant did, this is what we use for our rental kits at work:

fKuW2QO.jpg

I think that's a Pelican 1640. I've got two set up like that.

You can get different size cases from Pelican, or as noted above, the Harbor Freight boxes are a good choice. Harbor Freight is cheaper and nearly as good. Plus, if you wait a few minutes, HF will have some sort of sale, discount, parking lot sale, or coupon. If you are not already signed up on their website, do so, they'll bombard you with coupons/discounts. I got a 25% off the other day because I hadn't been in for a few months. Many different size/color cases to fit your needs.

Also, look up user @pb_lonny he's done some interesting cases to transport radios. He's out of Tasmania, so brands/stores will be different. But he's got some interesting solutions that might give you some additional ideas:
Harbor Freight will have their Pelican cases on sale for 30% off at their Parking Lot Sale on August 16, 17 & 18.