• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

handheld cb recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

berksguy

My winter vehicle is a jeep grand cherokee and there's nowhere to put a CB. I dont want it on the ceiling. So i was thinking for the times I use it (ie snow), just a handheld would do sitting on the front seat. I'm also unsure if an external antenna would be needed or is the one on the unit good enough?

any brand recommendations? i dont want to spend a lot. I'm happy with my 20 yr old cobra 29 in my regular car so was thinking of just sticking with cobra if the price is right. I do have a bunch of rechargeable AA batteries already so those arent an issue. But i guess if it could be operated on cig lighter that would be a good alternative.

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Here is a list of portable CB radios that I know of.

Cobra
HH 38WX-ST
76 XTR
HH-ROADTRIP

Midland
CB 75-785
CB 75-822

Cherokee
AH-27F

Maxon
HCB-10

Radio Shack
TRC-241

Just for safetys sake, I would get a mag-mount external antenna for the increased range in case of an emergency. Also a fused cigar lighter adapter cord with extra fuses & extra batteries.3's I'm gone.

[!] The man formerly known as FLRAILMAN

Last edited:

freqs

Hand helds eat batteries bad and range is not good at all .I have a suggestion I drive trash trucks and we at times swap and use diff trucks we velcro them to the dash and use cig lighter plugs on the power cords and mag mount antennas and take them from truck to truck .Years ago I had a Chevy Lumina (the car) and my then wife didnt like CB'S in her car but we went to KY 2 time a year and there was no place to mount it do to it had a console well I used to put it between the seat and the console and use a cig lighter plug and a mag mount antenna.Just a fews ideas for you not great but they worked for me for a temp use

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
When I put a CB in my Jeep (rare) I use a cigarette lighter power cord, a magnetic mount antenna and I jam the radio between the console and the passenger seat. I hang an external speaker from a strap around the passenger headrest and I'm done.

If you don't have an external antenna you won't be able to work 2 way with anybody until they are so close you can read the license plates or DOT # on the side of the cab. The car is a very effective metal enclosure that won't let CB signals out.

No benefit to the unit being a hand-held if you're going to use it in the car.

Hand held is useful for group trail rides so you can stand on the trail and spot for others as they negotiate a difficult obstacle.

RodStrong

I would recommend this CB

Cobra 75 WX ST All-in-handset Mobile CB

It takes up less room than a handheld would, and the head is mounted under the dash or seat. It's smaller than a box of kitchen matches. And, with an outside antenna, you'd do much better than a handheld. I have had one for several years in my work trucks, and a few guys I work with have them with no complaints. I would also highly recommend an NMO mount antenna instead of a fiberglass.

Or, I suppose you could try this one

Cobra 76XTR All In Handset 40 Channel Blue Illuminated CB Radio

It comes with some sort of cheap antenna, probably a mag mount. Looks like this is a similar all in one handset made for youngsters or ghetto rides.

Good luck.

dougw65

What if Sky King answers?
Premium Subscriber
I'm lovin my Midland 75-822.

Bought it at amazon for a great price about a month ago.

berksguy

I would recommend this CB

Cobra 75 WX ST All-in-handset Mobile CB

It takes up less room than a handheld would, and the head is mounted under the dash or seat. It's smaller than a box of kitchen matches. And, with an outside antenna, you'd do much better than a handheld. I have had one for several years in my work trucks, and a few guys I work with have them with no complaints. I would also highly recommend an NMO mount antenna instead of a fiberglass.

what is an NMO antenna? the midland or cobra 75 look interesting, maybe could even stow in the center console. I'd definitely get an external antenna, i have the lil will on my car and like it.

so can you just run the antenna wire out the back door or rear hatch and let the door 'smash' it? Thats how i have it on my car coming out of my trunk. If (and i havent really looked yet) i can mount a longer antenna on the jeep rear bumper id do that but if not i guess a short one on the roof coming out the back door would suffice.

roadranger

I don't know about anyone else...

I think that any hand held will do, so long as you have a way to adapt to an outside antenna, and an external power supply. They should all supply the same power out as the other mobile models, and if it is just for listening, plug in an external speaker.

jbantennaman

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
My question is with GMRS and cell phones, why bother with a CB radio.

There is nobody on there anymore, maybe some truckers bragging about who has the fastest rig and who's CB reaches out the furthest.

If it came down to getting rid of the CB or the wife, I guess the CB would have to learn how to make pancakes.

Don't take no guff from the old lady. Put her to the curb and tell her if she can find someone better then you to take the cat too!

APTN

Radio Shack

I've had good experience with Radio Shack CB's. However, range is reduced when using a handheld as previously stated.

berksguy

if you affix an antenna like lil will to the rear bumper of the jeep, does it being up against the jeep matter and 'block' any signal? Only other alternative would be get a short antenna that fits under my garage door.

N8IAA

if you affix an antenna like lil will to the rear bumper of the jeep, does it being up against the jeep matter and 'block' any signal? Only other alternative would be get a short antenna that fits under my garage door.
Yes, it will block signals, and raise the SWR. Not good for any radio--handheld or mobile. Is the roof of your Jeep metal. Put the lil wil there. Just have to get out and take it off before driving into the garage:) The Cobra that has the remote head set up is a great way to go rather than a handheld.
Larry

berksguy

ok well i wont be taking the antenna off 2x a day so i guess i'll have to get a short antenna of some sort. is the cobra you spoke of one of the ones in this thread?

SCPD

QRT
My CB walkie Talkie review - 4 units

When nothing else is "poppin" the CB can be an alternate form of entertainment and provide valuable road info at times...... All need an external antenna to make a good mobile unless 500 to 1000ft is adequate.

Let start Upon a time in the 21st century....
I purchased Maxon HCB-10 portable from the "Big Store" and its TX was plauged with a buzz sounding like loud PL (160-180 hz) due to the multiplexing LED display being in close proximity with the mic. An external Icom handmike worked well on it but never the less I used my american right and took it back to the big store.

I added a few dollars and bough a fancy looking Cobra 38 wow this rig had the bells and whistles but what a toy plastic case. It was the CB equivalent to the Motorola XTS2500. One problem it did not receive well. radio did not seem to be efficient. The Maxon had it beat. It literally quit 3 months later. OK a lemon!- next HT gotta keep one in the emergency kit..

A friend gave me a simple Cobra 28 with the old fashion am handheld circular radio volume and squelch controls. radio actually worked and received better- still cheap plastic Purchased another Cobra 38 on sale from a truck stop and same story XTS2500 on the bells and whistles still did not hear and it quit about a year later. Ending up giving the cobra 28 to a friend who moved away.

I decided to go with the Midland 75-785 it was cheap and did the basic function. It looked like the original Maxon but it was said to be different. Nice Lexan case, tough, icom mike compatible (dont have one) and simple 1 jack charge/power. FOR THE MONEY I am pleased with the Midland 75-785. Its built like a HT600 solid and dependable but no SCAN, bells and whistles It receives well and talks well no buzz in the audio. Midland makes good commercial products and there CBs are no exception as I have a 77-863 1977 base station setup on a dipole to keep up with the transportation industry and the rif raf around the house.

However back before the ham days the 5 watt TRC HTs from Radio Shack with the long whips were awesome. 11 miles once to a base in an emergency situation BEFORE CELL PHONES!

Showing my age.. those were the good ole days!

THETINMAN

I'm lovin my Midland 75-822.

Bought it at amazon for a great price about a month ago.

I have this handheld in my car also-
it gets the job done for me-

459620cc-f67b-4a7a-9b9d-65ab168576f3_568x426r0.jpg

roadranger

This is what I want...

There is a Midland model I want with wx channels. I can really accessorise! (Stupid man, Can't spell!) I can add on power and an outside antenna. Also, I have a very old RS haedset w/ mic boom. It is Vox, so I wouldn't look any different than any other modern Truck Driver, yet my CB will be "hands free!'

roadranger

Wish I could remember...

I think u might be refering to the one I have- it has the wx and antenna/ power on the cord--

I saw it at a Pilot somewhere in Ms. or La. I used to use one by Maxon that worked well. I think they both use 9 AA abtteries, as well as plug into the cig. socket. There is no removeable battery pack, like Cherokee. They use also the standard, RS, Maxon speaker-mike. That's why I want to adapt it to the headset with vox, for hands-free, or at least no hand mike, so that I can occupy the usual slot with my Alinco DX-70 for 20m, and hang that mike where I can get to it. I want to be really ready when I am assinged a truck. There may be a whole lot to listen to, unless I have the same problem with SW and the installed APU that charges batteries and runs 110v for acc. like a microwave oven, DTV, etc. Looking at the photo, that may be what I want, but I still want to use the headset, adn set the radio in the cup holder.

Last edited:

Nightshade

I just bought a 'open box" unit (it really is) Radio Shack TRC-241 hand held off e-bay for $30 that does a fine job once I changed out the antenna for a MFJ-1818 "Long John" antenna.

ltjweiss

are those cobra roadtrips any good? i see them in a local store and they look tempting. they are inexpensive compared to the base models but are they worth the $70 pricetag?

Status
Not open for further replies.