• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Handheld CB

Status
Not open for further replies.

RookieRooster

Whats the absolute biggest handheld CB on the market? Doesn't matter how big the antenna is or if I have to get it used on Ebay. I was just wondering because, at the end of the movie Convoy, the sheriff had what looked to be at least a 3-4 foot CB antenna for his handheld.

You can get any size CB or antenna you want.
But why don't you buy a antenna cut for the CB band.
That will work the best. Then buy a radio. As usual, size will not make a difference.
For get what you saw in the movie.
That was a prop. I have seen a 2 meter whip and a cb radio in movies and TV.
It's all make believe.

DW
So. Cal

RookieRooster

I already have a mobile station, I just wanted something to communicate out of my truck.
You can get any size CB or antenna you want.
But why don't you buy a antenna cut for the CB band.
That will work the best. Then buy a radio. As usual, size will not make a difference.
For get what you saw in the movie.
That was a prop. I have seen a 2 meter whip and a cb radio in movies and TV.
It's all make believe.

DW
So. Cal

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Whats the absolute biggest handheld CB on the market? Doesn't matter how big the antenna is or if I have to get it used on Ebay. I was just wondering because, at the end of the movie Convoy, the sheriff had what looked to be at least a 3-4 foot CB antenna for his handheld.

So performance doesn't matter, only size?

bharvey2

As I recall, the movie "Convoy" came out in the late '70s. About that time I acquired a Realistic, 3 channel handheld CB radio. It was about 10" long or so and had a telescoping antenna. The antenna was pretty long when extended and it may have been 3ft long or so. I'm not into CB radios anymore but the ones I've seen are much smaller that this one.
Here is a photo of one below:
1632159975098.png

PACNWDude

I still use a couple of Radio shack TRC-216's for testing mobile CB radios for work. The Teamsters have in their contract that they must have a functional CB radio in their semi tractor rigs. My old school handheld works well for testing, and is huge. These are 1980's models, so not what Dirty Lyle would have had in "Convoy", but about the same size. As a previous poster has shown, TRC-2XX model handhelds are quite large, as they were made to hold enough AA batteries to transmit 4-5 Watts.

Hit_Factor

The PRESIDENT Randy is a fine piece of gear.
I have one, sent it back to manufacturer because it rarely receives any traffic. Manufacturer says its in spec.

It's got a really poor receiver, probably gets overloaded with the antenna I have it on. My Icom r30 receiver works great on the same antenna.

bharvey2

I have one, sent it back to manufacturer because it rarely receives any traffic. Manufacturer says its in spec.

It's got a really poor receiver, probably gets overloaded with the antenna I have it on. My Icom r30 receiver works great on the same antenna.

I've seen a few YT videos on those and they look like a decent radio. However, there just isn't enough activity around me to merit buying one. I have a number of old CBs and break one out every few years to listen. Never any luck - a few truckers heading to the shipyards or maybe a freebander here or there. I don't even hear the CB headbangers with amps taking up several channels at once.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber

There isn't much traffic on CB band anymore. BUT, find an older cb antenna from the 80's to put on it. I had an older radio shack antenna in my collection and tried it on a trip over multiple states. It picked up allot more than the antenna that comes with it.

Hit_Factor

There isn't much traffic on CB band anymore. BUT, find an older cb antenna from the 80's to put on it. I had an older radio shack antenna in my collection and tried it on a trip over multiple states. It picked up allot more than the antenna that comes with it.

Guys, I have a good antenna on it. The Randy is a poor receiver, the Icom R30 proves it. I have thousands of road miles on the Randy - almost nothing. When I switch to the R30 I receive lots of CB traffic. I live less than a half mile from I-94, the lack of signals to receive is not the problem.

RookieRooster

I've seen a few YT videos on those and they look like a decent radio. However, there just isn't enough activity around me to merit buying one. I have a number of old CBs and break one out every few years to listen. Never any luck - a few truckers heading to the shipyards or maybe a freebander here or there. I don't even hear the CB headbangers with amps taking up several channels at once.
Honestly, CB isn't dead. In my area, Tampa, Florida there's a lot of people with them.

Hit_Factor

Someone mentioned in another thread about turning off the auto squelch. Been meaning to do the adjustment to test it.
He has a problem with reading comprehension.

Autosquelch is not in use. I have operated with ASC. Other than hearing less static, the results were similar. The Randy FCC has a poor receiver.

My antenna is fine, the r30 and my VNA prove that.

PACNWDude

Good to know about the Randy handheld radios, as me an co-workers have been eying them for use at work. We have to troubleshoot a fleet of Cobra 29 LTD Classics and Cobra 75 WX ST's, and having a handheld CB is useful. We all have been using Realistic/Radio Shack versions from the 1980's-90's, and were hoping for something better.

CB is not dead around major highways, used it this past Labor Day weekend for traffic reports. The joke with me and others in our own convoy, was that the term "driver" is now used to denote any truck driver / CB operator as it is expected that only semi-tractor drivers are still using them in 2021. I may dust off my old Cobra 2000 GTL base station after hearing the traffic. There was even some of the usual (1970's era) banter between "drivers".

Status
Not open for further replies.