Handheld HAM transmit distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDavis90

I'm thinking about getting a HAM radio license.

Before I do so, I'd like to know how far out the handhelds typically get out to. I know there are a ton of variables in this, but I'm hoping someone around Smyrna or Murfreesboro could just offer their own experiences with this...

My second option would be getting a mobile. However, due to my work and all that stuff, I don't want to be constricted to just being able to talk when I'm in or around my personal vehicle. Not interested in a home base set-up (yet).

Thanks!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber

Castle7

Handheld to Handheld w/5 Watts, about a mile or two with the rubber duck-type antenna.
Handheld to Repeater w/5 Watts, several miles, depending on the height of the repeater.
Just an idea; Buy the handheld and get a bi-linear amp with a preamp for the car and car antenna. I can get about 20 to 25 miles from my car to my wife at home, without a repater, with the above. At home my base is connected to an antenna on a home-brew mast, which is up 25 feet and then connected to a 2M antenna which is suppose to have a 7 db gain.

SDavis90

Distance on simplex (w/o repeater) will be about the same as any other handheld (GMRS, FRS, MURS, etc). 2 blocks to 50 miles. See http://forums.radioreference.com/general-scanning-forum/115818-how-far-can-i-receive.html

Distance on repeater will depend on the height of the repeater antenna (10 miles to 100 miles).

Actually, since you can use a handheld to talk to the space station, that would be 200+ miles on simplex. :)

That link was helpful. I just put in a few towers licensed nearby and it looks like I may be able to reach one or two. May have to turn the radio a certain way and hold an arm out or something, maybe stand on the roof, haha.

SDavis90

Handheld to Handheld w/5 Watts, about a mile or two with the rubber duck-type antenna.
Handheld to Repeater w/5 Watts, several miles, depending on the height of the repeater.
Just an idea; Buy the handheld and get a bi-linear amp with a preamp for the car and car antenna. I can get about 20 to 25 miles from my car to my wife at home, without a repater, with the above. At home my base is connected to an antenna on a home-brew mast, which is up 25 feet and then connected to a 2M antenna which is suppose to have a 7 db gain.

Sounds like a good setup. The amp setup would be do-able. Just hop in and plug the radio up when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.