• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

handheld/mobile connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter_x

Premium Subscriber
If I have a business radio in a vehicle, is there a handheld that would allow me to talk through it when I am a short distance from the vehicle? Would this be a bluetooth device? Thanks.

Kf4mnc

Yes, such devices are available. Typically they are some sort of cross-band repeater type device that is of low wattage so they only carry a short distance.

I have seem some Ham Radio products use bluetooth, but few professional radios. Plus, bluetooth is typically only good for 30 feet max.

Here is an article on how it works: Crossband repeater systems and public safety interoperability

Here is a link to a discussion here on RR: http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-equipment-installation-forum/205229-vehicle-repeaters.html

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Bluetooth would be a good short range option, but like noted, 30 feet or less, not very useful in the real world. There are plug in adapters for most radios, hand held and mobile. Truth is, inside a vehicle it's going to be blocked by the metal.

A "mobile extender" is what you want. A lot of public safety agencies use them. Pyramid is the big manufacturer in this area. Motorola makes some also.
Pyramid Communications Home - Pyramid Communications Vehicular Repeater would be a good place to start.

There are two ways of doing this, in band and out of band. In band is when you use the same band for the hand held as you do the mobile. Out of band is when you us a different band for the mobile and the hand held. In band can be problematic as you need some separation between the frequencies to make it work right. Even then, without expensive filtering, desensing of the receiver can be an issue. Out of band usually works better and will be cheaper, maybe.

Licensing is the big issue. You will need to be licensed for all frequencies you use. There are not any legal ways to get around this. You will also want a hand held that works in a different frequency band than the mobile, if you want to do the out of band system.

It isn't cheap, either. The mobile repeaters can be a few hundred bucks. A few more hundred if you need to buy a new hand held in a different band. Installation, set up and programming isn't something for the hobbyist. If you want it to work right, you need to work with someone who has done these systems before.

peter_x

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I read that there are three classes of bluetooth with the highest being capable of 100 feet. That would be adequate for me (plus I wouldn't need a license) but it sounds like that hardware might not exist. Looks like I will need a VHF/UHF radio. Thanks.

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There are so new ones out on the market. Saw one in a trade magazine the other day that claimed 100 feet. If I was at work I could probably see if I could find it.

The big trick is getting the bluetooth transmitter up in the clear, like on the dashboard or something. Having it buried under the dash with the radio will greatly reduce it's range.

Might not work as well, but have you looked at just installing an external speaker for your radio? The highway department here uses an external weatherproof speaker on the trucks. The Kenwood low band radios they use have a 13 watt PA amp built in. Still means you have to run for the microphone, but it might be a cheaper alternative, unless you are in a location where not everyone is going to want to hear your radio.

domes

I was looking at a listing on Ebay for what I believed they called a wireless mic. The price was $99 and it looked like a mobile mic that clipped to your shirt. It had a transciever you sat on the dash and gave about 100ft range. You could order it with the cord that matched your brand radios mic jack, although I don't believe all mobiles provide Rx audio to the mic jack. You might look on ebay.

domes

Go on Ebay search and type in "ZX cordless mic" and you will find them. They are shipped from China. The are 300/500mw and operate on 245MHz. I don't know if they are legal to use here. If you buy one to try, let us know how it works.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I would be very careful with anything in the 245 MHz area. If I am not wrong that is right in the Aeronautical band and even with 300/500 mw, line of sight is a great factor. I guess that is what is wrong with buying things from China as their band plan may be much different than North America.

mm

I know this is an old thread but I'm curious as to how expensive they are?

A ball park figure would help me out. since I can't get a price from anyone who claims to have these available.

It seems they want to sell a boatload before they give pricing, they take your e-mail but never send me a real number for prices.

What good is product if I can't give pricing to the people who ok the purchases?

The public safety boating users is one area where these could come in handy.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
You really need to have a use for X10DR mics, but they do work well. One vehicle got 2 mics, 2 charger/receiver cradles (with external antenna option), and 1 interface box that hooks to the mobile. For the system I wanna say around $900.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.