Handheld scanner has rough time decoding TRS

Starion

I currently at the Springfield interchange, near west Alexandria, VA (where I-495, I-95, I-395). The scanner I am currently using is a Radio Shack Pro-651. It has poor reception on VHF. Reception is decent on 800 MHz but I have a hard time hearing Washington, D.C., Prince William County and Prince George's county trunked radio systems. I can hear Arlington, Alexandria and Fairfax county TRS just fine. I have poor reception with Virginia Stars even with a 21 inch antenna near a window. The handheld scanner does great outdoors away from buildings. Scanner receives analog signals just fine. I do hear some static though. I hear static when I listen to the buses on Fairfax County (P16) Trunking System, Fairfax County, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies I hear static on when I listen to the buses on WMATA system too. Airband and railroad reception is decent. NOAA weather radio sounds a bit scratchy. It would be a bit difficult for me to mount an outside antenna.

Ok, I guess I need to save some $$ to buy a used base/mobile scanner on Ebay. I guess the poor handheld can't cope with the strong radio signals overloading the receiver. Thanks for reading.

jonwienke

Simulcast is also an issue, probably more so than overload. Wmata analog is garbage because their radios are garbage, particularly the metro trains. Their digital is simulcast, so reception is spotty for anything but the Uniden SDS models.

Starion

Thanks for the information. I solved the issue regarding VHF reception. Now I can hear airplanes taking off and landing at Reagan Washington National Airport. I think something in the corner of my room is interfering with the scanner. Maybe the metal closet doors were attenuating some signals. The scanner seems to be doing fine on the other side of the room. Now I just need an electrical extension cord for the AC adapter to. I've been using battery power for the past 30 minutes. Bye.

Starion

I just noticed that I have bad reception on VHF whenever the scanner is connected to the AC adapter. I'll try using another AC adapter.

jonwienke

Cheap adapters generating RFI can bork reception. Using the Uniden USB cable with the ferrites helps block RFI from the adapter.

air-scan

I just noticed that I have bad reception on VHF whenever the scanner is connected to the AC adapter. I'll try using another AC adapter.
May I suggest this?

You may need a cord with barrel connectors that fit the brick and the scanner. It will do 9v DC for your 651. 11000 mah will be all day before it halfway drains at half volume. Theoretically 55 hours at half volume.

Could run quieter.

Last edited:

tvengr

You have to remember that the cable on the ac adapter becomes part of the antenna system and can affect the directivity.

Starion

I guess the aluminum siding is affecting VHF-high reception. I may need to put an antenna outside the window somehow. Thanks for the replies everyone.

wtp

that is where i put a spare TV antenna after a hurricane took out the 12 foot roof one.
just try not to put it next to metal antenna ductwork. or like i did try just above that.
and RG6 cable works fine. that is regular cable for a house.