Handheld Scanner Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfrostchief

I am starting to look at buying a new hand held scanner and need some advise. I live just outside Buffalo New York were we use the 420 mhz band for public safety. I had a problem with an old handheld Radio Shack scanner with adjacent channel problems even with the PL tones programmed. I am looking for a handheld scanner with excellent adjacent channel rejection. I am trying to stay in the $200.00 range. Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks Craig PSD EMD EMT

N8IAA

I am starting to look at buying a new hand held scanner and need some advise. I live just outside Buffalo New York were we use the 420 mhz band for public safety. I had a problem with an old handheld Radio Shack scanner with adjacent channel problems even with the PL tones programmed. I am looking for a handheld scanner with excellent adjacent channel rejection. I am trying to stay in the $200.00 range. Any help or comments would be appreciated. Thanks Craig PSD EMD EMT

Hello, Craig. What older RS model do you have? The problem with scanners is that they are made to receive over a wide range of frequencies. If you are just planning on monitoring 420-465Mhz frequencies, a ham ht in the 400Mhz band will give you greatly enhanced listening. Not too many of the newer scanners will block signals. But, a minor fix could be to use the attenuator mode for those that are getting the adjacent channel bleedover.
Larry

ManFish

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Craig, I am in the private law enforcement field however I am soon going to be a full certified law enforcement officer & I use scanners to monitor & assist local law enforcement whenever I can, when I become a fully certified law enforcement officer I am going to upgrade to law enforcement quality radios like the Motorola XTL2500 for my unmarked POV & the Harris RF-1033M for portable off duty monitoring while shopping, jogging & going to the movies. Maybe these two radios wont give you the problems that you are experiencing with your civilian scanners.

Manny

N8IAA

Thanks for the help guys. If I spend the money I want to get something that will work well.

Most any of the newer scanners offer much better channel rejection. You really don't need anything more than a GRE PSR-300, or, it's RS brother, the Pro-164. Both are under $200 and can be programmed via Win97 software. They will monitor all the 150Mhz and 420-470Mhz frequencies in your area:) This way, you get the PL and DPL with alphatags. If you really want image rejection, get a commercial radio, or, as I suggested, a ham 440Mhz transceiver for the 420Mhz stuff.
Larry

slicerwizard

Older scanners were designed to handle 25 kHz (or greater) channel spacing. Current models are designed to handle systems that have adjacent channels only 12.5 kHz apart.

Check out this system: Mobile Business Communications Trunking System, Toronto, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies

Channels 1 and 16 are only 12.5 kHz apart and any current scanner will handle it just fine with no bleedover from channel 16 while monitoring channel 1. Look for a cheap 246T, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.