Handheld Scanner Opinion Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie086

Hi folks,

I hope I've posted this question in the right place.

I'm new to your forum and this is my first post. I've been researching handheld scanners for the last few weeks and have narrowed my decision down to just a few, but I really need an opinion to determine if I'm making the right decision considering I haven't used a scanner for many years. All the information on them is very overwhelming to say the least.

I live on Long Island, in Nassau County, and would like to monitor the Nassau County Police 6th Precinct channel, which I believe is, 478.9125 (maybe PL and simplex) Additionally, I may have read somewhere that these frequencies may change or be rebanded.

Also I'd like to receive Republic Airport, Tower frequency 118.800 and JFK Tower. Manhasset Lakeville Fire Department, which should be 46.3000. I do realize that I'm going to need an external antenna on my home to receive signals properly.

I thought a Uniden BCD 396T would have been a great choice, but it's way to expensive and no doubt far to complex for me at this stage. So I started to look at the Uniden 246T, which seems like a great handheld and a reasonable price of about $200.00. Again, I don't know if the 246T is too advanced being a novice. The BC-235XLT may also be decent, but I don't think they make them anymore and I'm not sure I want to purchase something like this used.

I was hoping to get a scanner, in addition to picking up the frequencies listed above, that can also receive NOAA weather alerts using the proper FIPS alert code for Long Island and the Close Call feature.

Any suggestions or opinion would be appreciated. Thanks.

Woodstock

I've never used the 246T, but I would also recommend looking into the Pro-97. I got it as my first scanner and I love it. There will probably be some features that you won't use at first, but you will have them available when you get more advanced.

mikepro96fan

Go for the Pro96, it's always a plus having digital capability...Real easy to operate..I
believe it is on sale for 400.00, or find a good used one on ebay, or eham.net..
Welcome to the forum!!
Thanks, MikePro96fan

Richie086

Hey folks,

Last night I purchased the Pro-97 from my local RS for the sale price. I could have gotten it for about $30.00 less on Ebay, but I felt it was easier and safer this way.

I am really impressed with the receive capabilities of this scanner. As stated, I live on Long Island and had no trouble picking up Fire Department Operations conversing with fire trucks sitting in front of Gracey Mansion in Manhattan. They sounded as if they were in the same room as me.

I was also able to program in the Nassua County Police channel in my area, and again, reception was excellent, whether it was headquarters transmitting or a patrol car. I just need to read the instructions a few times to learn how to add the text tags to my frequencies. I may also end up deleting most of the frequencies it comes with, since most I'd never use.

The back-lite feature on this scanner is excellent and so it the audio. Thank you all once again for your opinions on this scanner. It is certainly a keeper in my book. I can't wait to get the software loaded on my computer to do some real programming on it.

BTW...Mike, I wasn't able to purchase the Pro-96 due to the price. But thank you for your recommendation.

Richie

Status
Not open for further replies.