Handheld Scanner with Diamond D-130J

Status
Not open for further replies.

invisible-man

Hi......Quite new to the subject of scanning etc.....

I have recently purchased an Icom IC-R6 scanner and was wondering if whilst at home, I could connect the scanner up to a base station type antenna (for instance) Diamond D-130J

Many thanks

kma371

QRT
Since your radio is a receiver only, there is limitation as to what you use for antenna.

However, since that antenna is tuned for only for 25-1300mhz, you will not receive the Short-wave portion very well, if at all

celsasser

Premium Subscriber
a little more antenna is needed, but not too much IMO

I think that if you want to receive SW on the R-20, you'd do well with a 20' wire that has the end clipped to the wire screen on a window. No need to go longer or better, since like most LW/SW wide-band handheld receivers, it suffers from moderate dynamic range.

I connected mine to a 66' vertical and 80 meter dipole with tuned feeds, and had major problems with front end overload. The attenuation control is limited in the amount it will reduce a signal, so weak signal listening suffered significantly. But with the 20' wire and the attenuation control, you could adjust things back down so you could listen to weaker signals - making SW listening manageable.

I've also had about the same SW results with a 6' collapsible whip antenna, go figure? Got it at a hamfest.

invisible-man

Thanks for your replies, mainly wanted to listen to aviation, secondly anything else the scanner is capable of receiving (not radio stations), not too much knowledge of what you can listen to in the short wave frequencies.........

Am I thinking along the right path, Diamond D-130J base antenna?

Many thanks

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your replies, mainly wanted to listen to aviation, secondly anything else the scanner is capable of receiving (not radio stations), not too much knowledge of what you can listen to in the short wave frequencies.........

Am I thinking along the right path, Diamond D-130J base antenna?

Many thanks

The D-130J only covers the range of 25-1300 MHz,so you would be able to listen to normal scanner freqs like trains,fire,ems,police,aviation and etc.But it will not cover shortwave freqs.

kma371

QRT
That icom isn't really a scanner per se, it's a receiver. so functions are limited (digital modes, tones, etc)

If you only want to listen to stuff above 30mhz, which it sounds like you do, you could purchase instead something like a uniden of gre scanner that will let you listen to trunked systems many public safety agencies use. The icom will not.

invisible-man

Forgot to mention....

I live in a mobile home/trailer (external is aluminum) and wanted to mount the Diamond D130 Super Discone Antenna to the top of a 2" aluminum pole that currently elevates approx 8' above mobile home roof (roof aluminum also), the pole holds my satelite dish approx 4' from the top.........

My question is, would the aluminum of the mobile home or the satelite dish affect the performace of the antenna.......or maybe a sugestion of a different type of antenna for good wideband coverage in this situation.

Many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.