Handheld Scanning Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMathew

Hi guys.

Recently got a 396T. I've noticed that the stock antenna that comes with the scanner could be better.
Can anybody recommend a better hand held antenna?

Height is not too much of an issue, and neither is price. There are just so many antennas, looking for peoples reviews.
I mainly listen to UHF (P25 Trunked).

800mhz trunk is not an issue, hardly listen to them. VHF would be nice but not essential/

Any advice would be appreciated :)

MOGA

I use the diamond srh77ca for UHF. The performance is an improvement on VHF/UHF over the stock whip, with one caveat: I use the 77 on another make/model portable than yours. I haven't a clue how well the diamond performs compared to the uniden OEM whip. I'll also add I think it skinks on 800 too.

The stock GRE whip on the PSR 600 is a pretty good all around performer IMHO. I would try one of those too.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
Hi guys.

Recently got a 396T. I've noticed that the stock antenna that comes with the scanner could be better.
Can anybody recommend a better hand held antenna?

Height is not too much of an issue, and neither is price. There are just so many antennas, looking for peoples reviews.
I mainly listen to UHF (P25 Trunked).

800mhz trunk is not an issue, hardly listen to them. VHF would be nice but not essential/

Any advice would be appreciated :)

I use a Diamond RH77CA as an altenate antenna on my 396T (I alternate between the SMA 3, RS 800 and 77CA depending upon what I need to monitor closely)... it is a serious improvement over the stock aerial even when using a BNC to SMA adapter... I originally purchased it for use with my PRO 96 and now serves as PSR 500 back-up, hence the BNC... They come with a BNC or SMA, your choice.... One of the best antennae I have ever owned.

MOGA

iMathew,

I use that model diamond antenna on a FM transceiver and on a scanner , so it appears that I inadvertently referenced the model number that has the SMA connector. The BNC connector version is the RH77CA. You want the latter for scanning as the former is tuned specifically for 2 meters and 70 centimeters. Let us know how it works out for you.

KE5TLF

HUH???....regardless of connector they're both dual band HT antennas that just so happen to work quite well for scanners as well.

iMathew

iMathew,

I use that model diamond antenna on a FM transceiver and on a scanner , so it appears that I inadvertently referenced the model number that has the SMA connector. The BNC connector version is the RH77CA. You want the latter for scanning as the former is tuned specifically for 2 meters and 70 centimeters. Let us know how it works out for you.

Not really sure what you are saying. The Uniden BCD396T has an SMA connector?

MOGA

Not really sure what you are saying. The Uniden BCD396T has an SMA connector?

I mean to state that you want the SECOND model number, the RH77CA model. The RH features a BNC connector. I'm not aware of any scanners that terminate in the SMA connector, so you likely DON'T want that one. Sorry to have gotten the model numbers mixed up.

KE5TLF, it would appear that I stand corrected. I had the impression that the RH was specifically 2m/70cm tuned, while the SRH was tuned for the conventional scanning frequencies. Thanks for clearing that up for posterity.

VA3QRM

another opinion Comet SMA-3

I have had one of these for years, works well and folds in the middle when space is an issue. Able to place my 396 in my 'manpurse' ( scanpurse? ) a shaving kit / travel bag.

Attachments

• SMA 3 Bent.jpg
    SMA 3 Bent.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 721

iMathew

I have had one of these for years, works well and folds in the middle when space is an issue. Able to place my 396 in my 'manpurse' ( scanpurse? ) a shaving kit / travel bag.

Oh so that one there is the MFJ-1717 is it?

So far I have ordered:

MFJ-1717
WSMA881 Super Gainer

Status
Not open for further replies.