Handheld trucking scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peeler

Hey all, I need a scanner. I think I've come to the right place and hope you all can help. I need a scanner for scanning both trunked and conventional frequencies in the Williamette Valley are of Oregon. Salem PD, Marion County, NORCOM and also Keizer PD and Salem Fire. I need something handheld and something I can throw in my car during my work shift. I'd like to make sure it will work when Oregon eventually upgrades its radio systems.

Any suggestions? I'm not really interested in anything too expensive.

Thanks

captclint

Mentor
Hey all, I need a scanner. I think I've come to the right place and hope you all can help. I need a scanner for scanning both trunked and conventional frequencies in the Williamette Valley are of Oregon. Salem PD, Marion County, NORCOM and also Keizer PD and Salem Fire.Thanks
There are several that will do the job:
BC346XT - The RadioReference Wiki
PSR-300 - The RadioReference Wiki
PSR-310 - The RadioReference Wiki
They all should work with Ungraded systems in the future, unless they go digital. The only caution would be that if you live in a large city, or near radio towers(cell, paging, TV, etc), the GRE radios tend to overload, while the Uniden radios tend to be less susceptable. If you don't live in such an area, the GRE are more sensitive(pick up weaker signals) than the Unidens. However, the Unidens tend to have more bells and whistles like Fire Tone Search and GPS. Also, the Unidens are smaller, and some say better build to withstand some minor rough handling.
Be sure to read the end of this article to better compare: http://www.scannermaster.com/GRE_PSR_310_Police_Scanner_p/30-501543.htm

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Welcome Peeler...

While those radios capt mentioned are good choices, I would go down to our Oregon forum and ask what folks in the Willamette are using. No sense in buying something that will not work later on down the road, as you had implied in your message.

best regards..Mike

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RadioReference.com!!!

Hey all, I need a scanner. I think I've come to the right place and hope you all can help. I need a scanner for scanning both trunked and conventional frequencies in the Williamette Valley are of Oregon. Salem PD, Marion County, NORCOM and also Keizer PD and Salem Fire. I need something handheld and something I can throw in my car during my work shift. I'd like to make sure it will work when Oregon eventually upgrades its radio systems.
Welcome to RadioReference, you've definitely found the right place. First I want to correct your thread title, I think you mean TRUNKING scanner, not trucking scanner. I guess if you drive big rigs it could be a trunking trucking scanner. LOL.

I visit your area from time to time and have used several different scanners to listen. My thoughts on getting a new scanner would be whether to get digital or analog only. While there is not presently a lot of digital in your area, if you want to be more "future proof", it is a concern. If you visit the Eugene area, they are presently digital.

My choice for analog is the PSR-310 and my choice for digital is the PSR-500. While the '500 is kind of pricey, I'll bet there are going to be some year-end sales (especially Black Friday) and you might just find a great deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.