• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Handheld unit? (w/SSB?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jassing

Premium Subscriber
THe only handheld cb I found that had ssb was an "export" radio.
There don't seem to be many handhelds out there -- presumably due to crappy battery life - but for reasons that are not worth going into -- I need to find a decent handheld cb.

Any suggestions?

jassing

Premium Subscriber
Thanks... Every time I find one of those, it's already sold, or they want a lot more than it's worth...
I keep lookin'.

-j

PACNWDude

SSB Handheld CB

Never saw one of those before,now I have to jump on the bandwagon and look myself. Thank you for posting the link.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Magnum 1012

This radio has been around for quite awhile and is often listed as "out of stock" on the websight. I had a similar radio for 6 meters and it was very poor quality.

waveone

This radio has been around for quite awhile and is often listed as "out of stock" on the websight. I had a similar radio for 6 meters and it was very poor quality.

Yes but if you read reviews on this particular model it is well spoken of in terms of it's versatility and modification ability.

Curious to know if anyone has had any experience with this one, or compared it with another or have experience with one which can be expounded upon.

Dawn

There was another one many years ago that was crystal controlled. I don't remember if it was JIL, AOR or Mizuho. One of the companies better known for SWL products had 3 IIRC. A crystal controlled CB type accepted version and a 10M and 6M amateur version that had a little VFO where the channel selector was instead. I seen one of the 10M units, but only seen the CB in a catalog.

LoyalServant

I actually used to have two of those Cherokee handhelds.

The AH100...
Pros: It worked
Cons... lots.... it worked, barely.

They also made a 6 meter radio (AH50) that looked just like it.
This radio actually worked and performed quite well, FM only.

I got them because they were different... I kept the AH50 for a long time and unloaded the AH100
probably 10 years ago.

prcguy

In the last two days I saw record prices on a couple of handheld SSB CB/10m radios. A nice looking Magnum 1012 went for $225 buy it now and a Titan Roadpro RPSY-201 went for a whopping $380. These are both AM/FM/SSB hand held radios that do about 6w SSB and 4w AM.
prcguy

yaesu_dave

There was another one many years ago that was crystal controlled. I don't remember if it was JIL, AOR or Mizuho. One of the companies better known for SWL products had 3 IIRC. A crystal controlled CB type accepted version and a 10M and 6M amateur version that had a little VFO where the channel selector was instead. I seen one of the 10M units, but only seen the CB in a catalog.

I believe the radio you're thinking of was manufactured by Midland. One of our local CB shops (which went out of business 10+ years ago) used to have a three channel Midland crystal controlled unit in their display case for YEARS with a $1,000.00 (!) price tag on it. The tag boasted that the Midland was the "first SSB handheld". I've no idea if that's the truth or not, and I don't think the radio ever sold while the shop was in operation. 73, David.

Francosis

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Midland Model 13-778 3 Channel SSB Portable

I believe the radio you're thinking of was manufactured by Midland. One of our local CB shops (which went out of business 10+ years ago) used to have a three channel Midland crystal controlled unit in their display case for YEARS with a $1,000.00 (!) price tag on it. The tag boasted that the Midland was the "first SSB handheld". I've no idea if that's the truth or not, and I don't think the radio ever sold while the shop was in operation. 73, David.

It may not have been the first SSB capable portable CB radio that was produced but it was the first SSB capable portable CB radio to be FCC type accepted.

Woody's Radio Museum Photo's

Enjoy.

Auren

Range Comparison of Handhelds

It would be interesting to do a real comparison in a different scenarios (Desert, Beach, OpenWater, Forest, City and Suburbs), of the maximum range achieved by a pair of the most powerful handhelds using the best but still portable antennas in each band/frequency (without taking into consideration battery drainage for the purpose of this exercise) for example:

- ShortWave Below 10 Meters
Pair of Mizuhi radios like the MX-18S or MX-21S or similar HT's (Although I know these radios are for DXing and not for direct comms)

- 11-10 Meters
Pair of Cherokee or similar handheld SSB radios with portable telescopic or long whip antennae
Pair of HT's in FM modulation on this band (I think they are available in Europe)

- 6 Meters or VHF-Low
Pair of the most powerful portable HT's
Pair of HT's in SSB/AM modulation on this Band

-2 Maters and VHF - UHF (MURS, HAM, GMRS, FRS, other)
Pair of 5Watt, 7Watt and even 10Watt HT's
Pair of HT's in SSB/AM modulation on this Band

I understand that each frequency has its advantages vs the other for different scenarios, but it would be interesting which experimental pair of Ht's will outperform the other in different areas with actual non theoretical tests.

FiveFilter

Yes, such a comparison test would be interesting. I'd like to see such side-by-side tests that show the efficacy of the legal 4-Watt CB vs various ham bands of various powers in mobile applications without the use of repeaters.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
In Europe on SSB 12W are legal!
On PMR446 just 0,5W but the most people use some cheap Baofengs with 1W - 4W....
On VHF arent any Public Channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.