Handheld use in my Rav4

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregOH

I was considering one of the cup holder mounts but don't think it puts the scanner high enough for my liking, so I made brackets to attach a few of my different handhelds to a vent. Puts it right up where I can easily see the display and work the controls if needed and is much better than laying loose on the center console.
kCIYRiA.png

riverradio68

Feed Provider
Not bad .... The problem with import vehicles and many compacts of course is space. I had an H3 for a 'short' while and contemplated vent mount vs. cup holder. With a cup holder you can always run a window clip antenna to get the antenna higher.

GregOH

I did some Google searching and didn't see a vent mount, so I started making my own. I agree with limited space with some vehicles, I made one for a newer Jeep Grand Cherokee and there wasn't much space available. I'm using a Tram magnetic mount antenna on the driver's side fender skirt, just didn't have it in use when the pic was taken.

Last edited:

GregOH

Try Nite Eyes. For me, it works amazingly on vent when I used to have a BCD436HP and now use it for my TYT-MD380

That looks like a nice mount option. I have mixed feelings about VHB though. I've used the tape in many different applications on products where I work and have had mixed results. The bracket I made hooks onto the back of a vent louver, the belt clip of the scanner slips onto the bracket and the weight of the scanner keeps it from coming unhooked and I'm pretty confident about it staying in place.

GregOH

9yyB9jS.png

Just a simple aluminum "L" bracket to attach to a horizontal vent louver. I guess if I needed one for a vertical louver, I'd come up with something for that as well.

I use a old microphone clip along with the belt clip.
Puts the rubber duck antenna up high to look out the window.
But I also have a magmount antenna on the trunk.
Works for me.

DW
So. Cal

GregOH

I use a old microphone clip along with the belt clip.
Puts the rubber duck antenna up high to look out the window.
But I also have a magmount antenna on the trunk.
Works for me.

DW
So. Cal
Nothing wrong with being creative. Is the microphone clip attached to the dash or a trim panel?

sloop

I have had the same problem, my wife won't let me mount a radio in her car. I have a problem with vent mounts....when running the AC or heat , how much damaging effect does it have on the radio? I can't turn off individual vents.

Status
Not open for further replies.