Handheld VS Base/Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanmanmi

I've always assumed a base scanner would be better than a handheld but I wonder it therer is any proof or opinions.. I've seen some say that model### is the same as model### just in a HH case but is that true? I am wondering because I may be updating and a HH is truly more convient than a base, but will I sacrifice reception/decription.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Generally a HH connected to a base antenna will perform just as good as a base model.
And yes, some HH models are the same as their base units. Some body will chime in and give you examples of this question you ask.
There are some models HH that will perform poorly when connected to a base antenna, usually being front end overload, etc.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I think for the most part, it's comes down to personal preference. I went with the 436 over the 536 simply because the 436 would be easier to mount and use in my car.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
uniden being a good example.
436 and 536 are identical on paper. In a vehicle or base situation, connecting either to the same antenna should give you the same performance.

This isnt taking the alleged issues with shielding and lack thereof in the 436 into consideration.

If a 436 fits in your car or desk better then a 536, go for it.

Use a good antenna regardless.

I have a 536 in the truck because i had the space.
If i upgrade the truck and get something with a full console, i'll probably swap to the 436, and complain about display size.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There is no significant RF performance difference between the 436 and 536. Get the 436 unless you need the Wi-Fi streaming feature of the 536. Other than that, the 436 can do anything the 536 does, plus the 436 offers handheld operation. As a mobile or base, the scanner batteries are a backup power source if external power fails. You may want to use an amplified speaker with the 436, but they are much cheaper than the price difference between the 436 and 536.

lmrtek

in general, hand helds are designed to use the antenna they come with so they likely are not designed to handle outside antennas and the interference they pull in

while base and mobile scanners are designed to operate on much better antennas so they will likely handle interference better

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Not true of the x36 line of scanners. The 436 has no issues dealing with a nearby pager transmitter, even with an outdoor ST-2 antenna attached.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
i disagree as well. the recent uniden handhelds have a pretty good filter. Have not seen a significant performance difference between the two.

If they wanted you to use the stock antenna, you really think they would have made it detachable with a common connector?

Status
Not open for further replies.