• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Handic CB Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Did anyone back in the day ever own a Handic CB radio? Does anyone still own a vintage Handic?

I really wanted that all orange three channel handheld when I was a teenager, but never could afford it. Don't get me wrong, I was estatic to get the Realistic three channel, three watt HT (the one with the beveled front) but still, that orange job was a thing of beauty.

Dave
KA6TJF

dleland

Premium Subscriber
Handic CB Radios...

Did anyone back in the day ever own a Handic CB radio? Does anyone still own a vintage Handic?

I really wanted that all orange three channel handheld when I was a teenager, but never could afford it. Don't get me wrong, I was estatic to get the Realistic three channel, three watt HT (the one with the beveled front) but still, that orange job was a thing of beauty.

Dave
KA6TJF

I do! A 6-channel and still works great. Got the remote speaker/mic, charger base and had a real leather case made for it when the cheap plastic one wore out. A friend and I each bought one to use when we work maintenance for my old high school. You're right, the orange case was/is very attractive, but it ate batteries and NiCads were very expensive. I think it used 10 each.

Dave

SCPD

QRT
I do! A 6-channel and still works great. Got the remote speaker/mic, charger base and had a real leather case made for it when the cheap plastic one wore out. A friend and I each bought one to use when we work maintenance for my old high school. You're right, the orange case was/is very attractive, but it ate batteries and NiCads were very expensive. I think it used 10 each.

Dave

I'm envious! Every once in a rare while I'll see a Handic HT up for sale on EBay and I get the urge to grab one, but then I figure what would I do with it? I haven't talked on a CB radio since I got my Ham ticket in 1982. It would just sit on a shelf and be a nifty little knick-knack to gaze at. So, I satisfy my Handic cravings by going to this Website: RadioPics Database - CB Radio - Handic 32

Dave
KA6TJF

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I had the handic mobile with fm tuner built in. Cb didn't work all that great,but the fm tuner was hot! Fm stations from 60+ miles away were normal.
n9zas

mike_gain

I remember one of the CB magazines back in the 70's did a story about one of the actors from the Bad news Bears movie. He had a Handic handheld mounted on his bicycle handlebar. Seems like it had some sort of drop in mount that was factory. Really cool stuff, ahead of its time. Brings back lots of memories.

kilowatt18

Hello room, I came across this discussion while googling "handic" and saw your posts!! Them orange radios caught my eye when I was young and dreamed about one for several years..(This while back in the 70's), They were smart in design back at that time as they allowed any antenna coax with a PL-259 to be connected to them or the ever popular rubber duckiwe they sold with the units. They also were structured for tone paging and control as well..(Unheard of back then). Later on...I found myself ordering parts from the company and was only able to order 7? of them long orange fibre antennas - some duckie ones too..and a few mics along with a few chargers, and them chargers were nice due to when they were placed into the charging cradle - they allowed ext. Speaker - remote power feeds..and charging!! They were nice!!! Smartly set up and looked good!! I agree...they sucked the life out of the 10 AA nicad's..or the 8 AA alkiline ones!! I now own about 20 of these portables with several model types and about 8 years ago..came across the base station as well. I love them...but as stated earlier..not knowing what to do with them as they are obsolete - but still I hang on to them...and maybe the memories of the 70's !! Jeff

kilowatt18

Thanks!! I went to it and saw the listing. I am trying to figure out how I just Searched handic there in the E-Bay search bar and got 0 responses?? I did it again aftyer looking at that listing and still I get nothing back for Handic...even under the "All catagories". Y aknow...I also wonder why the FCC never allowed us here in the USA to have FM C.B's as the assies do??? They have crystal clear communications with their gear......why are we always behind the times with this stuff?? You would think that the FCC would have wanted to switch just to stop all them CB interference complaints from years back....anyone know the answer to this?? thanks ahead of time. Jeff

jhooten

For the past few years CB has been useful as a traveling tool. On this weekends extended road trip it stayed with either the squelch cranked all the up or the power switch off during the day time. With all the noise it was almost useless. I say almost because I was getting a few good "smokie reports" from Florida. Too bad I was driving across Arizona and New Mexico at the time.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Thanks!! I went to it and saw the listing. I am trying to figure out how I just Searched handic there in the E-Bay search bar and got 0 responses?? I did it again aftyer looking at that listing and still I get nothing back for Handic...even under the "All catagories". Y aknow...I also wonder why the FCC never allowed us here in the USA to have FM C.B's as the assies do??? They have crystal clear communications with their gear......why are we always behind the times with this stuff?? You would think that the FCC would have wanted to switch just to stop all them CB interference complaints from years back....anyone know the answer to this?? thanks ahead of time. Jeff

Assuming you typo'd Aussies, the Aussie FM CBs you're talking about are UHF units. They operate in the same frequency range as GMRS and FRS, in the US. FRS would be similar, with the exception of them only being handheld, vice having mobiles available.

When I was living in Australia, it was tempting to bring a few of their UHF CBs back with me, but I figured it would just lead to trouble. :)

K3WHO

I've got a Handic 2305 23 channel base radio.

dsc_0039.jpg

I picked it up at Goodwill for $7.99 about a year ago. I got out the door and ran to my Jeep. lol! It still works fine and I get great signal reports from folks on it. It's got the jack for a tone box for tone paging. I'd like to find one but I doubt I ever will.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I've got a Handic 2305 23 channel base radio.

dsc_0039.jpg

I picked it up at Goodwill for $7.99 about a year ago. I got out the door and ran to my Jeep. lol! It still works fine and I get great signal reports from folks on it. It's got the jack for a tone box for tone paging. I'd like to find one but I doubt I ever will.

I saw one of these once, at a ham fest years ago. This was somewhat of a odd radio back in the day, but still cool! Neat to see one again!

n9zas

nonperson

WOW! Never heard of those radios before but would like to get one just to have if I came across one very cheap. :)
They both look slick IMO and a bit ahead of their time consider others I've seen from that era. I especially like that base station.

There have been stuff I wanted growing up but my folks couldn't afford to buy for me. When I did get some money of my own I did go buy few things just to have, so I could so I have my own now. :)

krwdog

Very, Very new to this whole forum thing. My wife and I bought and old hunting camp in Dixie County, Florida two years ago and there was one of these Handic 2305 ...23 channel base station. It was and still is in great shape. We unplugged it and brought it home. Last week I offered it to a co-worker who hunts and he said he did not want it, so for @!*& and giggles I went on the net trying to see what it was worth. These is how I came across your forum and the gentlemans picture of his base station. So, after that long story my comment is I have one...have no use for it and would love to put a smile on someones face. Make a offer and pay for shipping. Had to join this forum to speak with you..so I'm not sure where to go from here!

nonperson

Very, Very new to this whole forum thing. My wife and I bought and old hunting camp in Dixie County, Florida two years ago and there was one of these Handic 2305 ...23 channel base station. It was and still is in great shape. We unplugged it and brought it home. Last week I offered it to a co-worker who hunts and he said he did not want it, so for @!*& and giggles I went on the net trying to see what it was worth. These is how I came across your forum and the gentlemans picture of his base station. So, after that long story my comment is I have one...have no use for it and would love to put a smile on someones face. Make a offer and pay for shipping. Had to join this forum to speak with you..so I'm not sure where to go from here!

I wouldn't mind getting one but I can't afford it right now. BTW way Dixie isn't to far away from where I'm from. :) I all ready have two base station CBs and want to get radios for other services but if you wanted to give it away to a good home.... :D

No idea how much it would be worth because this was the first time I've heard of them. They look like some NICE radios and I'm sure some CB radio collectors would like to have them. Might be worth you to post it in another section.

ind224

The orange thing is neat. I have never seen or heard of that before.
It reminds me of a Panasonic ball and chain. If did not know it was a Handic I would have guessed Panasonic by looks.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
I remember seeing Handic's for the first time at a Miami CB Break in 1974. The USA importer of the radios from Sweden was located in Miami Lakes, Fla.

Kinda neat with the Orange color and accessories. Hard to miss in the woods. Never could afford one at the time.

Fast forward 40 years, I own several now. (Making up for lost time?) Low tech, but are fun to play with. I have six at the moment plus a bunch of accessories.

Status
Not open for further replies.