Hands free law

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMP

My understanding is that as of Jan 1, 2013, the use of any mobile/portable device that is not hands free will be illegal.
Is this official or will hams/truckers be exempt from this law?. I seem to be hearing conflicting reports about this law regarding mobile radios and was wondering what the truth is.

Thanks

VE3JSO

I have been hearing a lot of conflicting stuff about it as well some says we can still use hams and cb and some says u can't but I have a gut feeling that hands free law will affect the hams and cb now that there is some that has bluetooth but I guess we will have to see

VE3JSO

guess you will have to buy a bluetooth ham radio if you want to continue to use it while you are driveing down the highway

Canvoodoo

guess you will have to buy a bluetooth ham radio if you want to continue to use it while you are driveing down the highway

I'm a little out of touch. Do contemporary mobile ham radios have Bluetooth?

Also, would it be possible to "retrofit" a bluetooth microphone to an older ham set? I'm basing my planned mobile ham installation around a Yaesu FT-100, and I would prefer to upgrade it, rather than replace it. Any thoughts?

dhollands

Seems pretty clear here that the "HAM" exemption totally expires on the date you quoted.

From this document I don't think it necessarily has to be blue tooth or VOX.

See the section at the end titled "Exemption for pressing buttons"

You could have the mic secured to the dash or clipped to your clothing, then just press the PPT.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
From this document I don't think it necessarily has to be blue tooth or VOX.

See the section at the end titled "Exemption for pressing buttons"

You could have the mic secured to the dash or clipped to your clothing, then just press the PPT.
Exactly as you say. Basically they just don't want you fumbling around looking/grabbing for a mic that could end up falling on the floor or whatever. So long as it is secured and you don't take it off and hold it in your hand you should be good to go.

polkaroo

Missed him again!
Again, legislated common sense.

<rant>
No you can't have a handmic on a sturdy clip that you know where it is and can grab it... not to mention drop it/toss it anytime. Because we all know how great bluetooth headsets are (save for a few $130+ models) in the car and of course voice activation works perfectly! BUT you can certainly eat a messy hamburger or put on make up and you won't be charged with anything unless a cop sees you swerving dangerously or you're in a collision. But have something electronic in your hand an instant $155.
</rant>

greenhorn123

Handsfree? Why do I have 4 cup holders within 2 feet of the steering wheel? Why do I have 2 power points even closer?

Bye McGuimpy, I hope your budget fails

Status
Not open for further replies.