Hanover County EDACS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
I am not being able to recieve the Hanover EDACS system on my Pro-96. Have no problem hearing the Hopewell system or the Richmond/Chesterfield/Henrico/Colonial Heights System even though both of these systems are Motorola. I also have no problem hearing the Dinwiddie and VSP VHF systems. Same with Prince George and Petersburgs UHF systems. Any help would be appriciated.

jimf

Hanover EDACS

As a starting point, where are you located? The Hanover system is not the worlds most far reaching system. Can you hear the control channel?

Jim

trainman111

I don't think Hanover's system is the best either. I'm in Chesterfield and I can't pick anything up. If you take a look in the database, it looks like they want to go P-25. Another system gone digital...

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
That is more than likely the problem then. I was thinking that but was not 100% sure. I am in Hopewell (north part.) As far as going digital it really doesn't matter to me since I have a Pro-96.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Yes, distance is probably the factor, espically "way down" in Hopewell. I have a hard time receiving them at home home near the Powhatan/Chesterfield line.

gcgrotz

BoxAlarm187 said:
Yes, distance is probably the factor, espically "way down" in Hopewell. I have a hard time receiving them at home home near the Powhatan/Chesterfield line.

Hey Box...

I used to live in that area, during a former life 15-20 years ago with my first wife. Off of Manakintown Ferry Rd just off Rt60 near W4DR's house. I had some great ham fun there, surrounded by woods with dipoles in trees and a 600ft long bevridge antenna due west. Man, that thing would hear some stuff! Worked Heard Island on 75m with it. The only downside was when Bob was on the same band trying to work some new DX (had to be new, he's worked everything else). My stepdaughter lives in Midlothian and when I go down for visits it still looks strange, that area has really changed but I LOVE 288 now!

So where are you located?

Come to think of it, Hanover was pretty bad in those days too with a VHF system on a pole at the courthouse.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Hey, I love to ride people past W4DR's house and show them the antenna farm growing in the woods there! What a site.

I'm about 3 NM south-east of the western intersection of Page Road and Anderson Highway, on the south side of Rt 60.

Small world!

W4UVV

The Weak Hanover Co. EDACS System

Stick0413 said:
I am not being able to recieve the Hanover EDACS system on my Pro-96. Have no problem hearing the Hopewell system or the Richmond/Chesterfield/Henrico/Colonial Heights System even though both of these systems are Motorola. I also have no problem hearing the Dinwiddie and VSP VHF systems. Same with Prince George and Petersburgs UHF systems. Any help would be appriciated.

As other posts have implied the Hanover Co. EDACS is the weakest of all central Va. trs. I live in Prince George and have pre-amped Scantennas tower mounted. I receive it solid, but it is significantly weaker compared to the Chesterfield/Richmond/Henrico Co. trs. Hanover Co. had to have a trs ASAP. The county administration deciders chose EDACS which time apparantly has proven not to be the best decision for county comm. requirements. Now Hanover Co. administration deciders again want to spend more millions of taxpayer dollars probably for a Motorola 800 standard P25 trs so Hanover Co. comms. will have better geographical coverage, be APCO25 compliant and have interoperability comm. capability with the Richmond/Henrico/Chesterfield Co. trs.

I guess their present EDACS trs now apparantly deemed unworthy one day may be listed on Ebay.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
I was just letting it scan today and picked up Hanover. A couple of times on a sheriff's dept talkgroup and a couple of times in a fire talkgroup. Wasn't the clearest but it wasn't bad either. Guess it depends on the weather and everything.

kc4jgc

I have Hanover programmed in my pro-95; as long as I'm relatively close to the county I don't have much problem. I have heard though (don't know if it's true or not) that EDACS really works best in somewhat small geographic areas whereas Moto sytemscan be heard/tracked in wider areas.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
I think that Hanover probably just did a bad job setting it up. As I recall, they're working on 3 towers when 4 were recommended. I think you'll find that EDACS systems in Lynchburg, Amherts and Bedford seem to get much better coverage.

Hanover also has severe weaknesses in areas just west of Mechanicsville, but you'd be surprised at how good they sound in central King William. Henrico actually sounds better in that problem area than Hanover does.

Here's what I don't understand about going to the new system. If I understand the situation correctly, Hanover has to use directional antennas to keep their coverage from spreading too far--presumably to avoid interference to someone else. (I've heard the same about Philadelphia) If this is the case, wouldn't some sort of frequency exchange or rebanding do a better job of solving the problem? Wouldn't the same frequencies be just as much of an interference risk with a P25 system?

Also, Hanover wants better interop with Henrico and Richmond. But according to newspaper accounts, their new radios will be able to access Richmond & Henrico, but Henrico & Richmond radios won't be able to access Hanover's system. Given that Hanover & Henrico already have repeaters available on the ITAC's, How would interoperability be improved? Besides, those ITAC's are mostly used for funeral processions anyway.

I'm really puzzled by this compatibility issue in particular. Could it mean that we're going to see a 700 MHz solution?

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Picking up the Hanover system tonight. Same exact place I was when I asked this question (down to the room lol.) Seems like I can pick it up on a crystal clear night like tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.