Hanover Township PD Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

NParkNJ

On the Road
That system application was granted last year, around summer. Guess they aren’t wasting time getting started.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Or they could have switched to the County which already has all that and more, like Fire/EMS already did. But hey, what’s $1.1 million.

NParkNJ

On the Road
Or they could have switched to the County which already has all that and more, like Fire/EMS already did. But hey, what’s $1.1 million.

Besides the state of NJ wasting money, amongst other things, they want their dispatch encrypted it appears. I don’t think that’s an option on County. At least not the current UHF system.

NParkNJ

On the Road

interesting...the article does say digital and encryption, but doesn’t say in what manner...

Yes they could be full time E on dispatch, 2, they could do the Oakland deal, with dispatch in the clear, and encryption for a few short transmissions, sensitive info, or option 3, run primary dispatch in the clear, and have a channel 2 with encryption for their sensitive conversations.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Besides the state of NJ wasting money, amongst other things, they want their dispatch encrypted it appears. I don’t think that’s an option on County. At least not the current UHF system.
The county does not use encryption on its regular dispatch channels... Knowing the politics in Hanover township this might be there ulterior motive.

There are several encrypted talkgroups on the County system. LE SECURE 1 and 2, heck even EMS has a secure talkgroup. The system is capable of it but the County (like many others) is doing it the right way for the units and times that it is called for.

Correct, the County does not use encryption on their dispatch channels. I believe it should stay that way. But the capability is there. My argument was the cost factor. They could save a ton of money by switching to County dispatch. Fire and EMS already have. So if you dial 911 in Hanover the PD answers. If it’s Fire or EMS it gets transferred to County who dispatches and handles. It’s a duplication of services for the same Township that could be avoided.

If they need an encrypted tac they can simply license their current analog channel 2 for P25 and strap it. They wouldn’t even has to update their infrastructure if they ran it simplex.

The bigger issue is they can’t hop on the County system unless they give up dispatch to County. If the County allowed Departments with their own dispatch to have talkgroups on their system, they could easily switch, be P25 and have Countywide coverage instead of building their own simulcast system. They could even be encrypted if they wanted.

Instead you have Departments like Oakland since they were mentioned, who are using NJICS because Bergen won’t allow them in unless they dispatch them. Back to my whole interoperability discussion where after 9/11, Parkland, etc., we still haven’t learned.

There are several encrypted talkgroups on the County system. LE SECURE 1 and 2, heck even EMS has a secure talkgroup. The system is capable of it but the County (like many others) is doing it the right way for the units and times that it is called for.

Correct, the County does not use encryption on their dispatch channels. I believe it should stay that way. But the capability is there. My argument was the cost factor. They could save a ton of money by switching to County dispatch. Fire and EMS already have. So if you dial 911 in Hanover the PD answers. If it’s Fire or EMS it gets transferred to County who dispatches and handles. It’s a duplication of services for the same Township that could be avoided.

If they need an encrypted tac they can simply license their current analog channel 2 for P25 and strap it. They wouldn’t even has to update their infrastructure if they ran it simplex.

The bigger issue is they can’t hop on the County system unless they give up dispatch to County. If the County allowed Departments with their own dispatch to have talkgroups on their system, they could easily switch, be P25 and have Countywide coverage instead of building their own simulcast system. They could even be encrypted if they wanted.

Instead you have Departments like Oakland since they were mentioned, who are using NJICS because Bergen won’t allow them in unless they dispatch them. Back to my whole interoperability discussion where after 9/11, Parkland, etc., we still haven’t learned.
UPDATE: Bergen County is now allowing use of their TRS without the requirement of a switch to County dispatch. Little Ferry is the first municipality to take advantage of their offer; Washington Township is reportedly heading in that direction.

JC1956

Things must be good in Hanover considering back in 2011 the township committed was all for shutting down
The dispatch center going to the county now they have this money to spend

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
This project has apparently morphed from a 2-site, 2-channel trunked system, to a 3-site, 2-channel conventional system. Original two sites were Hanover PD and the Morristown Airport; gone is the airport site and added are sites at the Baird Place water tower and the Morris County Road Dept. Frequencies remain the same. Oh yeah and it's going to be a couple of years until anything is on the air; they've requested slow growth with a 2023 completion date.

JC1956

There information is wrong . The current uhf system wasn't installed in 1995 more like
In 1998 . Prior to that they were on a vhf system for many years which was bad. They were
Suppose to add a receiver site at the old Morris county mall but never happen . I just
Don't get there think like it was posted here why not upgrade the current system ? The
town was crying the financial blues and came close of shutting down the dispatch and
go to the county few years back.

Coolant113

Township of Hanover switched over to 700 conventional encrypted channels yesterday 2/10/2021. The new channels are not in the database yet. Just giving a heads up to anybody who regularly monitored them.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Oh and I was told they are not sharing their key with Fire/Rescue or neighboring PDs unless my comments to them changed their mind, but I haven't heard anything different.

Status
Not open for further replies.