Hanscom AFB Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello:

Regarding the Tower freq's for Hanscom AFB, the airport databases give 118.5 and 236.6

I have never heard anything on 236.6
Just wondering: when is it used in preference to the 118. 5, which always seems active ?

Is it a "secondary" freq. that is (only) used in case the 118.5 is inoperative, or becomes saturated with calls ? Is it likely the same operator that would handle both ?

Planes calling the Tower in the vicinity come in crystal clear on my PSR 500.
The 118.5 from the Tower has loads of signal strength, but is always very noisy.

Would it be safe to assume that since the conversations from the planes are so clear, that
the noise I hear from the Tower is Not originating from any appliances in my house, but is rather caused by terrain, etc. ?

Thanks,
Bob

LEH

Premium Subscriber
The 118 frequency is the VHF commercial/civilian channel. The 236 is the UHF MILAIR. I am surprised they don't simulcast from the tower. If there isn't a lot of military traffic on the base, then the UHF isn't going to have all that much activity.

N1BHH

That is simulcast with VHF and the output may be lower power and depending on your receiver type and antenna height, you may not be able to hear it. I was able to hear it a few weeks ago when I was out there driving through. Remember that aircraft are above you and the added height will give them the advantage of being heard by you, whereas a ground based signal will not reach out well, unless it is from an antenna high up on a tower. With Amplitude Modulated signals you will always hear any noises floating through, you have to be right in line of sight to hear it clearer.

D

DaveNF2G

236.6 is supposed to be a "common" military tower frequency. The actual frequency used at any given facility is probably different.

Status
Not open for further replies.