Hanson, MA APX Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA1DON

Premium Subscriber
Apparently, while I was on vacation, Hanson PD and perhaps other departments in town converted to Motorola APX P25
Smart radios. Anyone have an NAC for the new system? It seems that their vendor's default is not the one. Any info appreciated.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Still on analog as of two minutes ago. They might be gearing up for a change to P25 as many departments in the mid Cape are have done, but those radios will work on analog as well.

KA1DON

Premium Subscriber
Still on analog as of two minutes ago. They might be gearing up for a change to P25 as many departments in the mid Cape are have done, but those radios will work on analog as well.

True on the multi mode capability. Based on area departments I'm expecting the change. Thanks for the confirmation. I lost them for a bit when I first came back.......but I will say that it has not been the first time one of my cats has crossed the keyboard when I had the configuration software up and wreaked havoc with the systems!

garys

Premium Subscriber
One of my cats used to do that when she was younger. She'd walk across the keyboard while I was trying to type something. As you know, with cats, it's all about them.

Based on past change overs, I'd expect there to be some period of testing with the new system before the switchover. They might even move to a regional channel for a couple of days while the new mode is being tested.

The Wiki on Scan-NE has a listing for the current frequency with a NAC of 270. It's unconfirmed, but it's a place to start.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
The NAC will be 270 on the output when they switch, unless the vendor does something drastically different for them than they have for the other towns they've switched.

KA1DON

Premium Subscriber
One of my cats used to do that when she was younger. She'd walk across the keyboard while I was trying to type something. As you know, with cats, it's all about them.

Based on past change overs, I'd expect there to be some period of testing with the new system before the switchover. They might even move to a regional channel for a couple of days while the new mode is being tested.

The Wiki on Scan-NE has a listing for the current frequency with a NAC of 270. It's unconfirmed, but it's a place to start.
That's the entry I was look at too. No activity yet. Also monitoring the regional just in case. Thanks for the feedback. You know this hobby, you are gone for a couple of weeks and suddenly you are way behind the curve!

KA1DON

Premium Subscriber
The NAC will be 270 on the output when they switch, unless the vendor does something drastically different for them than they have for the other towns they've switched.
Agreed. They are pretty consistent. Occasionally you see the area code or the CO code. Nobody has started the "my third child's birthday" thing or other crazy stuff. Thanks again, all, for the input!

AJ1L

Premium Subscriber
Agreed. They are pretty consistent. Occasionally you see the area code or the CO code. Nobody has started the "my third child's birthday" thing or other crazy stuff. Thanks again, all, for the input!

Their vendor has used 270 exclusively. From what I've heard, there's no plans to go P25 anytime soon.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
When in doubt and you just want to make sure you hear someone going through a P25 conversion before you are able to verify the NAC, set your RX NAC to F7E (it's the equivalent to CSQ but for P25 signals).

NACs are relatively boring unless you are looking at the site NACs in trunking systems (which are calculated off the site number and system ID). Pretty much nobody utilizes NACs to the full extent (any combination from 001 to F7D) and they tend to stick with simple numbers.

ecps92

Doesn't work on a Scanner :) Only a REAL Two-Way Radio.

For the OP, just put the channels in a different bank and set to P25 [Search] and it will show the NAC when/if they move to P25

For P25M, with Many Departments close by [under 30-40 mi] here in Mass, frequencies are re-used regularly, and have the PL/DPL or NAC allows us to only hear the Depts we wish vs those further away.

When in doubt and you just want to make sure you hear someone going through a P25 conversion before you are able to verify the NAC, set your RX NAC to F7E (it's the equivalent to CSQ but for P25 signals).

NACs are relatively boring unless you are looking at the site NACs in trunking systems (which are calculated off the site number and system ID). Pretty much nobody utilizes NACs to the full extent (any combination from 001 to F7D) and they tend to stick with simple numbers.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Doesn't work on a Scanner :) Only a REAL Two-Way Radio.

For the OP, just put the channels in a different bank and set to P25 [Search] and it will show the NAC when/if they move to P25

For P25M, with Many Departments close by [under 30-40 mi] here in Mass, frequencies are re-used regularly, and have the PL/DPL or NAC allows us to only hear the Depts we wish vs those further away.
Pretty sure one of my Whistler scanners has a F7E NAC set actually.

KA1DON

Premium Subscriber
I use 1065's, TRX-2's and those "real radios" depending on the system(s) I am monitoring. So we just keep an ear out there and share when something is noticed. Thanks for the input everyone who responded!

Status
Not open for further replies.