hard lesson learnt

Status
Not open for further replies.

reconrider8

bought me another trunk lip mount for my car for my NMO 40 and got it in and say i had ordered the wrong connector bnc female instead of male so i figured wth ill just clip the connector and replace it so i got my new connector in and went to put it on and go with it. So i go to put it on and then learn that its braided center instead of solid copper. so that was my first mistake then i tried to put on the crimp connector with a pair of pliers second mistake. well i got it on there and went for the yank test and it came off so i tried a couple more times then said screw this and went to radio shack today and bought a twist on connector and after a couple times fiddling with it i got it on and it works ok but not like i would really want it to. so the morel to the story is make sure you know what your ordering before you order it even the coax...

jhal94

Premium Subscriber
You can always buy a male to female or whatever adapter for pretty much anything. Had the same problem when I ordered a mini-uhf female instead of male.

prcguy

Even for one off jobs I'll buy the correct crimpers and other items needed to install a particular connector. That way I know it will be done right the first time and more often than not I'll need the tools again or will end up helping a friend who needs to crimp the same type connector at a later date.

After many years of doing this you end up with quite a few custom tools and crimpers but if your going to continue with the radio hobby it really pays off.
prcguy

Status
Not open for further replies.