• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Hard mount cell phone for Verizon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blogger

Does Verizon make a cell phone any more that is supported by a true car kit (cradle, power external antenna?) Including Blackberries or Palm Treos? I am looking to set my wife's vehicle up....

Second ?

Anybody have a moto M800 bag phone on verizon? I am thinking of adding an additional line for the backwoods excursions....

SAR923

You'd have to ask a Verizon rep to be sure but I don't think they make the kind of car kit you're asking about. You can certainly assemble your own but Verizon got out of the parts business a long time ago.

If you've already got the M800 and need the maximum wattage, I'd certainly add it as an extra line. You'll never get more range than one of those mated to a good Wilson antenna.

n8emr

I would love to find a REAL mobile phone for a digital system. I loved my old analog fullsize handset

SAR923

The M800 with the car kit is about as close to the old Moto handset phones you can get. Works on all modes and puts out three watts with the car kit. It's not cheap but it's the ticket if you want maximum range. The nice thing is it's sort of like the old Convertacom's for portables - you can take out the handset and use it as a conventional cell phone.

n8emr

SAR2401 said:
The M800 with the car kit is about as close to the old Moto handset phones you can get. Works on all modes and puts out three watts with the car kit. It's not cheap but it's the ticket if you want maximum range. The nice thing is it's sort of like the old Convertacom's for portables - you can take out the handset and use it as a conventional cell phone.

My old analog was that way, IN addition to a full cell phone you could plug in a startac flip phone and take on the personality. The unit was rare and ECPA forced motrola to stop making them. THe M800 is that the samsung unit, iphone like device?

Julian1

Analog Cell Phones

I believe the FCC has set a deadline which has come and past on cellular broadcast in analog mode.

While those 3-watt installed phones were great, the FCC has "pulled the plug" on analog.

The analog networks should all be down soon if not already.

I recall when you could program a handheld to run in analog only...not anymore.

Good luck....

SAR923

Sorry, 2 watts is the correct output for the M800, as stated by both Motorola and Tessco. Still way better than a normal handheld cell phone.

Julian, I have no idea where you got your infomration that the FCC has set a deadline for analog cell phone networks to be taken down. Do you have a link? There are large parts of rural America that are still served only by analog cell phone systems. As an example, almost anywhere outside Vegas or Reno is analog in Nevada. This is one of the reasons why there are still tri-mode cell phones.

motor59

You must have a better discount than I do - it still comes in at twice the price.
'Course, Tessco is new and Fleabay is refurbished, but...

tmfok7

Julian1 said:
I believe the FCC has set a deadline which has come and past on cellular broadcast in analog mode.

If I remember correctly, that happened in February. It wasn't so much the FCC set a deadline but rather they were no longer going to mandate the carriers to maintain their analog systems. Most of them elected to pull the plug on them as soon as they could but there was at least one carrier, that I recall, that said they weren't going to pull the plug on all of their analog systems just yet due to the locations of the systems, in proximity to their digital systems, and the rural customers they serve.

af5rn

Blogger said:
Does Verizon make a cell phone any more that is supported by a true car kit (cradle, power external antenna?) Including Blackberries or Palm Treos? I am looking to set my wife's vehicle up....
This is one of those questions that I think we ALL wish there were a positive answer for. Instead, I just finally broke down and bought a mobile cell/PCS repeater/amplifier system for my wife's car. Right now, she loses her cell for about five minutes during her drive to and from work everyday. I'm anxious to see if this solves the problemo!

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
SAR2401 said:
Julian, I have no idea where you got your infomration that the FCC has set a deadline for analog cell phone networks to be taken down. Do you have a link? There are large parts of rural America that are still served only by analog cell phone systems. As an example, almost anywhere outside Vegas or Reno is analog in Nevada. This is one of the reasons why there are still tri-mode cell phones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Mobile_Phone_System#Analog_AMPS_being_replaced_by_digital

SAR923

ResQguy said:

From your link: "As of February 18, 2008, Carriers in the United States were no longer required to support AMPS and companies such as AT&T and Verizon have discontinued this service permanently."

Rather a large difference from the original assertion that the FCC outlawed AMPS. If you read further shown in the article, you'll see several carriers are still almost 100% AMPS today.

Status
Not open for further replies.