Hard Reboot when vehicle is turned on SOLVED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
I recently installed a BCD536HP in my vehicle and like many, the radio would reboot when I started my vehicle. I researched many solutions on how to fix this from purchasing a 12VDC UPS or a voltage regulator.

I then decided to contact a local company who specialty is installing MDTs and other goodies into public safety vehicles. I wondered how they get around this issue too! Their solution was a voltage booster. They said they use a product from LIND Electronics, INC. that can boost as little as 7VDC from the vehicle up to 12VDC during startup. This is magic I thought. I researched the product and the manufacture states, the Low Input Voltage (LIVCO) Booster is designed to boost voltage to 12VDC for up to 10 seconds to avoid unnecessary reboots or restarts due to voltage drops.

I obtained one of these boosters from the local company and it was super easy to install and smaller than I expected. It wires up inline between your power source, in my case a power lead running directly to the battery and then outputs to the scanner. The moment of truth came when I had the radio on listening to a local trunk system and started my vehicle and the scanner didn’t skip a beat. The radio didn’t reset and I didn’t miss any party of the conversation.

I highly recommend this product for anyone who has a scanner installed in their vehicle. This is an easy solution and helps protect the radio too!

You can see the product specs on page 21 of their catalog.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender(4).jpg
    FullSizeRender(4).jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 974

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber

$60 does not seem too bad considering the protection it offers and to some the convenience makes it invaluable. The boosters for the amateur radio market are twice this but they do handle more current for transmitters. For receive only the Lind device is adequate. And cheaper.

Me, I spent $50 on a ChargeGuard and $17 on a SLA battery so that (1) the battery protects the scanner during start up and (2) the ChargeGuard kills power to the scanner after a preset time after the vehicle is shut off. With my radio mounted in the trunk it is a real inconvenience to open and close the trunk to turn it on and off.

The battery stays in the circuit so that it stays charged and it is protected by a diode to prevent it from being discharged by the vehicle.

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
DROK® DC-DC Buck Boost Converter 5V-25V to 0.5-25V 2A High Efficiency Voltage Regulator 5V 12V Variable Volt Power Supply Stabilizers with Red LED

Works great!

Cost on Amizon 15.49

Gilligan

Database Admin
I recently installed a BCD536HP in my vehicle and like many, the radio would reboot when I started my vehicle. I researched many solutions on how to fix this from purchasing a 12VDC UPS or a voltage regulator.

I then decided to contact a local company who specialty is installing MDTs and other goodies into public safety vehicles. I wondered how they get around this issue too! Their solution was a voltage booster. They said they use a product from LIND Electronics, INC. that can boost as little as 7VDC from the vehicle up to 12VDC during startup. This is magic I thought. I researched the product and the manufacture states, the Low Input Voltage (LIVCO) Booster is designed to boost voltage to 12VDC for up to 10 seconds to avoid unnecessary reboots or restarts due to voltage drops.

I obtained one of these boosters from the local company and it was super easy to install and smaller than I expected. It wires up inline between your power source, in my case a power lead running directly to the battery and then outputs to the scanner. The moment of truth came when I had the radio on listening to a local trunk system and started my vehicle and the scanner didn’t skip a beat. The radio didn’t reset and I didn’t miss any party of the conversation.

I highly recommend this product for anyone who has a scanner installed in their vehicle. This is an easy solution and helps protect the radio too!

You can see the product specs on page 21 of their catalog.

Can you please provide a model number or link to the specific item that you purchased? I'm interested in buying one myself. Thanks!

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Status
Not open for further replies.