• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

hard to decide (help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mygb

Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2006
Messages
12
hi, i am located in edmonton alberta and am interested in purchasing a scanner, but i dont want to spend too much for a first. basically id like to listen to local police in my city.

i am on radioshacks website and i see some descriptions: "Explore preset frequencies used for non-trunked police/fire, aircraft, marine, NOAA weather and more" now is non-trunked better than trunked? i also wondering if i should get a 800Mhz or a non-800mhz scanner?

i came up with what i could afford and did a COMPARE: please look at the link below, to me all the scanners are alike so i dont know how to compare and contrast http://www.radioshack.com/compare/index.jsp?gridProductId=2049661.2036237.2102471.2036233.2180625.2036236.2168071.&categoryId=2032072&cp=2032052
if u want u can contact me by msn messenger, i should be online
 
Last edited:

red8

Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2004
Messages
613
Location
denham springs la.
it depends like if you want to scan 800mhz and p25 digital radio shack at this time is in the process of closing about 400 - 700 stores
at this time so the prices are clearence marked usually sold as is
however there is some on line places that i have found and the prices
are quite reasonable and they are not sold as i plus they actually
work
red8
 

mygb

Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2006
Messages
12
well i know what id like to scan(emergency services etc) but i dont know what it is in my city(trunked? non trunked? 800mhz? digital?) so i dont wanna go out and buy the wrong scanner...:) plus i dont know where to purchase a scanner in edmonton, someone told me radioshack stopped selling them in Canada.

.... isnt 800mhz what cities emergency services are usually on? and i dont think edmonton police use digital , plus it looks like digital scanners are really expensive.

i went here http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=1328 and i think this lists some frequencies that are in the 800 range, these look to be police and emergency service frequencies? anyone from edmonton currently scan these?
 
Last edited:

SCPD

Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2001
Messages
65,126
Location
Virginia
mygb said:
well i know what id like to scan(emergency services etc) but i dont know what it is in my city(trunked? non trunked? 800mhz? digital?) so i dont wanna go out and buy the wrong scanner...:) plus i dont know where to purchase a scanner in edmonton, someone told me radioshack stopped selling them in Canada.

.... isnt 800mhz what cities emergency services are usually on? and i dont think edmonton police use digital , plus it looks like digital scanners are really expensive.

i went here http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=1328 and i think this lists some frequencies that are in the 800 range, these look to be police and emergency service frequencies? anyone from edmonton currently scan these?
mygb, your looking to pay around $ 200.00 ~ 350.00 for a good used scanner capable to montioring most of the public service agencies in Edmonton.
Edmonton Fire and Ambulance are using a trunked 800 Mhz Edacs radio system in the clear. Also on this system is Parks and Rec, Water and San, Streets and Roads.......

EPS use the same trunk radio system, but mostly digital talkgroups (provoice digital NOT APCO 25) otherwise not monitorable, leaving the primary dispatch channels in the clear, thanks to the Edmonton Journal for this.....

You can try checking out CB City and Alfa communications in Edmonton who sell scanners.
 
Last edited:

electricsheep

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
503
Location
electricsheep
If you are looking for the cheapest way to scan Edmonton effectively, find a used Uniden BC245. If you want to spend as little as possible and buy new, get a Uniden BC246.
 

mygb

Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2006
Messages
12
hmm, that item doesn't have anything on its description page that says it trunktracks EDACS. so i guess what im looking for is a scanner that can trunktrack EDACS like in the 800Mhz range?
 

SCPD

Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2001
Messages
65,126
Location
Virginia
mygb said:
hmm, that item doesn't have anything on its description page that says it trunktracks EDACS. so i guess what im looking for is a scanner that can trunktrack EDACS like in the 800Mhz range?
This is from the Strong Signals site, it should cover EDACS, I suggest you down load the manual from Uniden.com to confirm this.


Specifications
Vintage 2003
Type Base/Mobile
Range 25-54 108-174 400-512 806-956
Channels 250
Banks 5
Modes AM & FM
Priority 5 channels
Conversion Triple
Scan 100 channels/second
Search 100/300 steps/second
Sensitivity 29.000 - 54.000 MHz 0.5 µV
137.000 - 174.000 MHz 0.7 µV
406.000 - 512.000 MHz 0.7 µV
108.000 - 136.975 MHz 1.2 µV
806.000 - 956.000 MHz 0.8 µV
Audio 2.6 watts
Power 12V DC 500mAh
Size 7.1"(W) x 2.4"(H) x 6.1"(D)
Weight 2 lbs 7 oz (1.1 kg)
Interfaces BNC, DC, external speaker, PC
Accessories Telescoping antenna
Wire antenna
DC power cords
AC adapter
Operating guide
Frequency guide
Features Pre-programmed for:
Local Police/Sheriff
Fire/EMS
News media
Weather
CB
Aircraft
Railroads
Marine
DOT
Trunk Tracker
Motorola
EDACS
LTR
PC Programmable
Band search
 

mygb

Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2006
Messages
12
thanks, brechtd!!! and MatteBlack!!!
So EPS uses 800mhz EDACS. Sorry if i still am a little confused BUT, you're saying EPS dispatch can be monitored, just not their digital talkgroups? I don't know the difference, but im going to try to read on what a talkgroup compared to a dispatch.
 

electricsheep

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
503
Location
electricsheep
mygb said:
thanks, brechtd!!! and MatteBlack!!!
So EPS uses 800mhz EDACS. Sorry if i still am a little confused BUT, you're saying EPS dispatch can be monitored, just not their digital talkgroups? I don't know the difference, but im going to try to read on what a talkgroup compared to a dispatch.
Correct, only the most basic of dispatch groups (and a few others that are barely used) for Edmonton police remain monitorable. The majority of police talkgroups are all digital and unmonitorable. You will still have a general idea of what's going on and where, just maybe not all the detailed conversation that are handled on the TAC groups and groups like the traffic operations (radar, collision investigation, checkstops etc...)
 

mygb

Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2006
Messages
12
MatteBlack said:
Correct, only the most basic of dispatch groups (and a few others that are barely used) for Edmonton police remain monitorable. The majority of police talkgroups are all digital and unmonitorable. You will still have a general idea of what's going on and where, just maybe not all the detailed conversation that are handled on the TAC groups and groups like the traffic operations (radar, collision investigation, checkstops etc...)
Aww, that's kind of a drag. Is it true most police use non monitorable digital talk groups across north america?
 

electricsheep

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
503
Location
electricsheep
mygb said:
Aww, that's kind of a drag. Is it true most police use non monitorable digital talk groups across north america?
No, not as a rule. It's just because of the type of digital system Edmonton uses (EDACS Provoice), it is proprietary and the manufacturer will not license the technology for use in consumer scanners for good reason (client security).

Calgary for example is digital but monitorable due to the type of system they use there (Motorola) is based on an open standard.
 

mygb

Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2006
Messages
12
ok well now im just wondering how much activity is usually on the EPS basic dispatch that actually can be monitored. You said you get some detail .....but wow, im listening to online streams of other emergency servicies that are 100% digital in alberta and it's pretty dead ...

on this page http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=1328 , what is monitorable?
 
Last edited:

SCPD

Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2001
Messages
65,126
Location
Virginia
mygb said:
ok well now im just wondering how much activity is usually on the EPS basic dispatch that actually can be monitored. You said you get some detail .....but wow, im listening to online streams of other emergency servicies that are 100% digital in alberta and it's pretty dead ...

on this page http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=1328 , what is monitorable?
EPS, You will get the 4 district dispatch channels and two bylaw animal and traffic/parking
and that is about it. What exactly are you looking to monitor with the EPS?

EMS aka ambulance and EFD aka Fire is all in the clear, the rest of the 150 or so other City services related channels on this system are also in the clear.
 
Last edited:

mygb

Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2006
Messages
12
brechtd said:
EPS, You will get the 4 district dispatch channels and two bylaw animal and traffic/parking
and that is about it. What exactly are you looking to monitor with the EPS?

EMS aka ambulance and EFD aka Fire is all in the clear, the rest of the 150 or so other City services related channels on this system are also in the clear.
nothing in paticular, i just want to get an idea of whats going on around the city in terms of crime etc,
so everything on the The Radio Reference Database pages is monitorable (considering you have the right scanner) unless it says Encrypted?
 
Last edited:

SCPD

Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2001
Messages
65,126
Location
Virginia
mygb said:
nothing in paticular, i just want to get an idea of whats going on around the city in terms of crime etc,
so everything on the The Radio Reference Database pages is monitorable (considering you have the right scanner) unless it says Encrypted?
From this site list, these are about all the EPS talkgroups you can listen too still in the clear, you will get the a good idea what is going on with crime in the city.



544 04-040 All Call
545 04-041 West (Ch 1)
546 04-042 South (Ch 2)
547 04-043 Downtown (Ch 3)
548 04-044 North (Ch 4)
557 04-055 Bylaw PE Bylaw/Parking Enforcement
646 05-006 Police Training
1572 12-044 Mutual Aid Ch 1
1573 12-045 Mutual Aid Ch 2
1574 12-046 West Edmonton Mall
 

mygb

Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2006
Messages
12
brechtd said:
From this site list, these are about all the EPS talkgroups you can listen too still in the clear, you will get the a good idea what is going on with crime in the city.



544 04-040 All Call
545 04-041 West (Ch 1)
546 04-042 South (Ch 2)
547 04-043 Downtown (Ch 3)
548 04-044 North (Ch 4)
557 04-055 Bylaw PE Bylaw/Parking Enforcement
646 05-006 Police Training
1572 12-044 Mutual Aid Ch 1
1573 12-045 Mutual Aid Ch 2
1574 12-046 West Edmonton Mall
Thank you sir.

Now its time to check at CB City and Alfa communications to see if they got any scanners that scan EDAC. Has anyone purchased anything from either store?
 

electricsheep

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
503
Location
electricsheep
mygb said:
Thank you sir.

Now its time to check at CB City and Alfa communications to see if they got any scanners that scan EDAC. Has anyone purchased anything from either store?
No, because they are both far too over priced for me. I usually buy online from the US.
 

mygb

Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2006
Messages
12
MatteBlack said:
No, because they are both far too over priced for me. I usually buy online from the US.
Ah, its cheaper to buy in US dollars? Woah.
CB City has a BCT8 with cellular coverage. What exactly is that? I thought BCT8 excluded cellular coverage.

Uniden beartracker 800 BCT7's look pretty cheap....
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top