Hard to understand audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

KO4IPV

Is there some type of setting to adjust the audio either my SDS100 when listening to conventional

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Is this on all conventional channels? I know the internal speaker on the SDS100 isn't the best (it lacks bass particularly) but I'm still able to understand what is heard. It could also be possible for the audio to be over-modulated on the transmitter side and in that case there wouldn't be anything you can do

KO4IPV

Is this on all conventional channels? I know the internal speaker on the SDS100 isn't the best (it lacks bass particularly) but I'm still able to understand what is heard. It could also be possible for the audio to be over-modulated on the transmitter side and in that case there wouldn't be anything you can do
Ok just have to live with it it is only the conventional, all the digital is very clear

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I use a small mobile extension speaker with my ham gear. It lets me put the speaker in a better position than where the radio sits and has better response than some enclosed speakers.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
You may only be experiencing the difference in audio quality between analog and digital. I don't know how long you've been in the hobby, but if you started in recent years, you may not have "grown up" around much analog. Analog transmissions can sound like the radio operator is 3 counties away with considerable background hiss, while digital sounds like he's in your living room. Perhaps we could be of greater help is you described your dissatisfaction with the SDS100 conventional audio.

KO4IPV

I use a small mobile extension speaker with my ham gear. It lets me put the speaker in a better position than where the radio sits and has better response than some enclosed speakers.
Sure would like to try that is there a easy way to connect a extension speaker to the SDS100?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Is there some type of setting to adjust the audio either my SDS100 when listening to conventional
If you are finding lower volume on certain conventional channels or system talk groups then sit on that object and toggle function zero. This will cycle through volume offset from +1 + 2 + 3 0 -1 -2 -3... The default on every object is zero. I have some conventional frequencies I have to leave on plus 2 or plus 3 to be able to hear them, it's not the radio it's the nature of the radio transmitting.

This is a commonly used option for most people because of different types of systems and conventional channels transmitting at a lower or higher volume.

As far as quality of audio and modulation with the 100 and 200 I have to say that it is excellent on conventional. I never had any scratchiness or Distortion or poor modulation. Hope everything is okay with your radio.

It's important and I'm sure you already have done this but it is important to have the latest firmware update as there was a firmware update that addressed scratchy, crackling conventional Transmissions.

Bob1955

All of the Bearcat handhelds, especially the SDS-100 have tiny audio. No reason for this on a $649.95 handheld. Might as well get a Unification fire/police pager as the audio on those are amazing.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
My opinion is the 396xt is tinney sounding but my 325P2 sounds great for such a small radio

Ubbe

One thing you can try to do to analog channels are to switch between FM and NFM mode to see if one of them sounds better. Then you have all these settings with the filters and IFX if you have some sort of distorsion in the audio.

It's difficult to know what you mean by adjusting. Is it too low in volume compared to digital, or to raspy and growling, or too thinny, or not loud enough, or is it something else?

/Ubbe

KO4IPV

One thing you can try to do to analog channels are to switch between FM and NFM mode to see if one of them sounds better. Then you have all these settings with the filters and IFX if you have some sort of distorsion in the audio.

It's difficult to know what you mean by adjusting. Is it too low in volume compared to digital, or to raspy and growling, or too thinny, or not loud enough, or is it something else?

/Ubbe
I just cannot understand most words on the conventional frequency’s it’s either raspy or not clear they talk to loud or to fast , mumbling or they speak very low, usually with a fair amount of static, maybe because I am not used to Florida southern talk me being from the Midwest, very used to language of clear and distinct verbal pronunciation.

KO4IPV

I just cannot understand most words on the conventional frequency’s it’s either raspy or not clear they talk to loud or to fast , mumbling or they speak very low, usually with a fair amount of static, maybe because I am not used to Florida southern talk me being from the Midwest, very used to language of clear and distinct verbal pronunciation.
I could try to switch between FM and NFM but how is this done, fairly new to the scanner world

KO4IPV

All of the Bearcat handhelds, especially the SDS-100 have tiny audio. No reason for this on a $649.95 handheld. Might as well get a Unification fire/police pager as the audio on those are amazing.
We’re do I get this
You may only be experiencing the difference in audio quality between analog and digital. I don't know how long you've been in the hobby, but if you started in recent years, you may not have "grown up" around much analog. Analog transmissions can sound like the radio operator is 3 counties away with considerable background hiss, while digital sounds like he's in your living room. Perhaps we could be of greater help is you described your dissatisfaction with the SDS100 conventional audio.
If you are finding lower volume on certain conventional channels or system talk groups then sit on that object and toggle function zero. This will cycle through volume offset from +1 + 2 + 3 0 -1 -2 -3... The default on every object is zero. I have some conventional frequencies I have to leave on plus 2 or plus 3 to be able to hear them, it's not the radio it's the nature of the radio transmitting.

This is a commonly used option for most people because of different types of systems and conventional channels transmitting at a lower or higher volume.

As far as quality of audio and modulation with the 100 and 200 I have to say that it is excellent on conventional. I never had any scratchiness or Distortion or poor modulation. Hope everything is okay with your radio.

It's important and I'm sure you already have done this but it is important to have the latest firmware update as there was a firmware update that addressed scratchy, crackling conventional Transmissions.
well have updated in the last week , not sure that is the problem, if I could explain further, it is like if I hold the handheld up to my ear then I could understand the verbal transmissions better than if I just sit next to the scanner, like I said it’s only when listening to the conventional, all other is loud and clear

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I could try to switch between FM and NFM but how is this done, fairly new to the scanner world
Sit on the conventional Channel and toggle function Channel, the word Channel actually turns to MOD, if it's on NFM then toggle it till it gets to FM, it's as simple as that. It may or may not affect volume of the conventional Channel but if it does then use the volume offset I explained above.

wtp

i have found that some of the agencies down here keep dispatch loud and the cars are quiet.
many here only think the scanner way.
now to change some thinking.
the cars set their volume high to hear dispatch, that is the one they "listen" to.
they only kind of pay attention to the other cars.
dispatch sets their volume lower and can hear everyone.
and really keep this in mind,
you may have spent $50 to $800 on your scanner,
they have a multi thousand dollar radio that they listen to.
i would expect their voice circuits to be a bit better.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
We’re do I get this

well have updated in the last week , not sure that is the problem, if I could explain further, it is like if I hold the handheld up to my ear then I could understand the verbal transmissions better than if I just sit next to the scanner, like I said it’s only when listening to the conventional, all other is loud and clear
As Ubbi said it sounds like you need to be experimenting with the filters and ifx. When you're sitting on a conventional Channel you're having problems with toggle function 7. If it helps leave ifx on if it doesn't, toggle ifx off.

I gave a very detailed explanation of how to apply the filters to Conventional channels in one of your other threads I believe it was. Very clear instructions. Try that on the channels you're having problems with.

Status
Not open for further replies.