Hardin County Sheriff new DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Intresting as they are one of the poorest counties in the state. maybe grant money?

N9JIG

Sheriff
A lot cheaper I would imagine than StarCom21.

Assuming they reuse an existing antenna and coax they would just need to install the repeater and buy a half dozen portables and mobile radios. Assuming about $10,000 for the repeater and $500 each for the radios they could be investing as little as $20,000 if done on the cheap. Of course this would be for a single site repeater with no voter, satellite receivers etc. and either located at the 9-1-1 center or using a control station for base access.

My guess is that the system is a bit more involved so this would be the bare minimum spent.

If there was federal grant money it would have to be P25.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Hardin was so poor they at one time had 5 deputies and only 3 cars all over 200K they were buying used cars from my shop and those were bare bones because they had nothing... I wonder if they are not leasing this system

VASCAR2

There are several county Sheriff’s Departments in southern Illinois going to DMR. Many Agencies have suffered reduced radio coverage after narrow banding VHF high band. The RR database shows Hardin County has a transmitter on Williams Hill which is the second highest point in the state. There are at least three towers on Williams Hill and the State of Illinois maintains a tower on Williams Hill. I suspect Hardin County has an antenna on the State’s Williams Hill tower. Novacom and Walker Communications are the primary 2 way radio vendors in that area.

west-pac

Intresting as they are one of the poorest counties in the state. maybe grant money?

My poorest county in Indiana went 3 site conventionally linked VHF DMR for LE years ago. A couple years later the School Corp went 3 site conventionally link UHF DMR. It's unfortunate that the 2 groups different work together or try to help each other.

Edit: My county didn't use grant money, as most grants for communications equipment has an interoperability stipulation, and moving from 800Mhz P25 to VHF DMR doesn't offer much interoperability.

Wy9k

Premium Subscriber
Curious if they towers on williams hill are privately owned if anyone knew?

VASCAR2

Straight west of the ISP tower (about 2 miles) on another hill is a tower owned by Walker Communications. This tower has DMR private/lease through Walker Comm.

The free standing tower south of the ISP tower is owned by Southeastern Illinois Electric COOP. I don’t know who owns the shorter tower on Williams Hill.

Last edited:

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
Is 39.5 still in use in the area? It is listed multiple times in the 911 documents. Coal Belt Fire 154.07, is it more of a mutual aid channel? Is it CSQ, no PL tone?

Point-to-Point - 39.46 and 155.37 also listed a contact channel for Union and Pulaski County Sheriff and a couple others.
155.37 is also listed. Either of these 2 ever heard in use?

VASCAR2

The use of Low Band VHF 39.5 in Gallatin, Pope and Hardin Counties quit in the late 90’s to my recollection. With the advent of synthesized mobile High band radios with multi frequency capability low band was discarded. There were a few Agencies/Counties who used 39.46 for point to point. The rural counties who didn’t have 24 hour dispatch, the Officers used landline or cell phone for communications if they didn’t have the Agencies frequency programmed into their radios.

To my knowledge low band 39.46 was used by a few counties for the District ISP fatality reports. Once the ISP consolidated dispatch to District 13 and 11 I‘ve heard no daily fatality checks. I know Wabash Counties Low band radio was unrepairable and they started using LEADS messaging and High Band Point to Point 155.37.

Wabash County has used 155.370 to communicate with Gibson County Indiana but also have Gibson County Sheriff’s dispatch frequency available in a dispatch radio plus LE mobiles.

I very rarely hear any radio traffic on 155.37 and haven’t heard any traffic in years on 39.46.

N9JIG

Sheriff
The last time I spent any time in the area was about 8 years ago when I toured the whole southern tip of Illinois for 3 days playing radio. I never once heard any low-band activity other than some 37 MHz. DOC stuff the entire time and never saw any low band antennas on any facilities or vehicles other than DOC.

155.37 was used occasionally but not much even then. (Off topic a little: 155.37, once very busy in the Chicago area has pretty much fallen into disuse and many dispatch centers don't even include it in new base radio systems these days...)

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
FYI, the only reason I brought up Low band, because the official 911 PSAP Documents, signed in 2014, shown that 39.46 and 39.5 were used as secondary communications channel.

I haven't heard any traffic in years

Status
Not open for further replies.