• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Hardware errors on P7100 portables...help diagnose the problem(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Hardware err = 0067 00 0A889E

This comes up on the display of an 800 MHz direct FM model M/A-Com 7100IP portable radio that I'm trying to fix.

The service manual is at best a little bit obscure regarding the
addressing of hardware errors.

If you can provide any assistance in diagnosing the problem or
deciphering the error code, it would be greatly appreciated.

Elroy

rmiles

Hardware err = 0067 00 0A889E

Put the radio in low-level programming mode (hold down the PTT with the programming cable attached, and turn the radio on). When the radio displays "PROGRAM", do a full recovery in RadioMaint. Immediately after the four stage recovery has finished, without jumping the radio, reprogram the personality with RPM. That's what I did when I got that hardware error on my P5100 and it's worked perfectly since! You may have to force it in, but it should work. If you encounter any problems, try my cell. I spent A LOT of time on the phone with TAC trying to fix that error, and have since fixed a few on my own.

Last edited:

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
I tried that exact procedure, almost. But I have no objection to repeating it. However, I didn't do it in the low level program mode, I did it in the regular 3-button program mode. I don't know what difference that makes but I'm willing to find out.

I really want to learn how to interpret those hardware error codes. I'm sure some of it is a memory address, but I'm not sure of some other parts of the code.

Elroy

rmiles

They only way I've found to interpret those hardware codes is to call TAC. They must encounter them a lot, because they usually know what they mean off the top of their heads. The low-level programming mode does make a difference. It places the radio in a "different programming state." It was described to me like whiping a HDD.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
I tried it and wasn't able to get to that second programming mode. On this radio, holding the PTT button in by itself during power-up did not put the radio into programming mode.

It may be an option on SOME firmware revisions and not others. What firmware revision was in YOUR radio when you did that?

Elroy

rmiles

On my radios, PROGRAM is never displayed. With the programming cable attached, I have to press and hold PTT. The radio will boot, lit all LCD segments, show power up self test, then look like it's starting normally, then the display will go completely blank and stay that way. Then you can let go of the PTT button and will be able to program, even though the display will show nothing.

Last edited:
Error 67 is a DSP/host communication fault - the other common one is error 60. Just out of curiosity, did you read the code from one radio and write it into another? Be careful doing that, because you lose some information.

I use .biz files for flashing whenever possible. And I had suitable ones available so I used them.

I'm thinking it's the DSP ROM chip that may be flaky.

Elroy
Well, the DSP code lives in the same flash chip as the H8 code (in HDT mode the command "map" will show you the stuff in there) so your problem is with the baseband hardware. First on my list of suspects (assuming the software works in other radios, hahah) would be the clocks - the TCXO and the 19.2MHz that comes off that.

Hope that helps,
Enid

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
I can read from and write to the radio.

If you know how to use the HDT function with hyperterminal, please give us a little information on that.
I connected the radio in HDT mode but never got any displayed data on the PC.

What are the comm port configuration values, the basic commands, etc?

Elroy

rmiles

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.