Hardwire GPS for 536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I am about to order a BCD536HP to DIN-mount in a new vehicle.

Once this thing is installed, it will not be coming back out of the dash, so I would like to hard wire a GPS unit into my car (via a separate battery-fed fuse panel). Has anyone hard wired a BC-GPSK into their vehicle with good results?

I am also considering using a DB9 splitter to route the GPS data into my CF-19 via the serial port on a ledco dock. Anyone tried this before? My dock doesn't have RF pass-through so that rules out using an external antenna.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I have the 536/BC-GPSK set-up in my pick-up truck and am quite pleased with it. The "hockey puck" is on the dashboard.

I can't offer any thoughts on the second question.

You can't just cut the wire and hard wire it. The voltage is lowered to like 6v or something. Easy way to hard wire is hard wire a dc plug and plug it in behind the dash.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
You can't just cut the wire and hard wire it. The voltage is lowered to like 6v or something. Easy way to hard wire is hard wire a dc plug and plug it in behind the dash.

That's no good... I would like to avoid just plugging it in behind the dash as over time it will be a point of failure.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've had two vehicles where an additional 12 volt power point (as in cigar lighter outlet) were installed to power the GPS unit. Haven't had any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.