Harlandale rolls out high-tech police radio system as lawmakers consider new requirements

wpwx694

SAN ANTONIO - State lawmakers want to improve emergency communications after the tragedy in Uvalde.

A bill moving through the statehouse would revamp radio systems... But only in certain parts of the state.

One local district has taken radio upgrades into their own hands.

Last edited by a moderator:

otter9309

Budgets are funny things. I do not believe the radio money came from their general funds, but a bond instead. When a bond is passed, the funds must be spent on pre-defined items that were outlined in the bond.
What is import to note is the decline in student population. No need to have empty schools.

"Officials said there was a sharp decline in Pre-K and Kindergarten students in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but there was not a significant bounce back in 2021.

According to the district, “low birth rates, declining market share, and a lack of residential development” are also seen as reasons for the decreasing student population."

It's like the stupid multi-million dollar things we see in SA, like the "Bottle Opener at Alamo and Market, or the "Cheese Grater" in the convention center. Hotel Occupancy Tax (HOT) is only allowed to utilized on 5 specific things, and often covers these expenses.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Last time I checked GATRRS doesn’t support SmartConnect, so I guess the APX NEXT purchase was to future proof themselves.

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
Last time I checked GATRRS doesn’t support SmartConnect, so I guess the APX NEXT purchase was to future proof themselves.
I have seen HISD PD on there, I guess now old TG 39606 on the AARRS system less than a month ago. So they have the system programmed in, and I guess PD-wise if their tower goes down they can switch to that TG on the city/county system. Idk how smart connect works beyond the reading. I've dealt with Harris systems mostly.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I have seen HISD PD on there, I guess now old TG 39606 on the AARRS system less than a month ago. So they have the system programmed in, and I guess PD-wise if their tower goes down they can switch to that TG on the city/county system. Idk how smart connect works beyond the reading. I've dealt with Harris systems mostly.
SmartConnect lets you roam onto LTE if you loose LMR coverage, but the the core has to support it (which isn’t cheap).

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I wonder if this is still active at all. I am to far north to pick up the Harlandale sites.

There are tons of 451xx and 452xx talkgroups active for HISD but appear to be majority ENC. Good for them honestly, but at the same time secure comms for the schools are secondary to physical security measures and uniformed, armed officers on campus.

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
A lot of school comms are heading for digital encryption. I remember when on campus comms were the admins joking around about students and the occasional "fight in the cafeteria" call on simplex UHF. Sadly, those days are gone.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
yeah, for now they are still clear in Boerne but about all you ever hear is student check outs from the playground or school pick up lines. Hardly worth listening to and lacking any relevance to security but still the ideal poster child for things that shouldn’t be easy to hear for non district employees. maybe the comms are more interesting in the inner city schools idk

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I wonder if this is still active at all. I am to far north to pick up the Harlandale sites.

That's long been deprecated. I've gone ahead and marked it as such.

They are currently operating on GATRRS on this site (which is covered by Broadcastify Calls)

NC5267

Premium Subscriber

They are currently operating on GATRRS on this site (which is covered by Broadcastify Calls)

Thanks for the update. I can get the TXDOT site from my location on the north side, but not the Harlandale.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Thanks for the update. I can get the TXDOT site from my location on the north side, but not the Harlandale.
I’m with you there. I can receive the txdot site as well as half of the 700 MHz AARRS sites from Tilden but I cannot receive Harlandale from Poteet

maus92

Premium Subscriber
SmartConnect lets you roam onto LTE if you loose LMR coverage, but the the core has to support it (which isn’t cheap).
Don't forget Wifi - might be useful inside of buildings if the security could be worked out.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
True, but the GATRRS core still doesn’t support it.
Moto is installing it now on our statewide system, I think partially as a demonstration project. Only 25% of the state's subscriber units have WiFi, even fewer have LTE.

NC5267

Premium Subscriber

Using the broadcastify call node for this site, I have narrowed down a few of the talkgroups.

45213 Harlandale Middle School
45201 Columbia Heights ES
45102 Schools direct to HPD Dispatch.

I haven't heard of an HPD dispatch channel at all on the system yet.