Harris Corporation and Jotron Team to Pursue $200 Million Next-Gen FAA Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
So Digital?....the Airband is going P25 too?
wow wont be long before they say they need encryption too....

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
I really highly doubt aviation communications will go encrypted. It would be a massive undertaking to equip every single aircraft with digital radios. I don't think there is anything to get worried about.

But it is nice to see that they plan on upgrading their radios in the future. Going to be interesting to see when they install these new radios.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
AM comms

I'll be suprised if they leave AM soon. I've had people tell me the reason they use AM, is because even if a strong signal covers a weak one, the controllers will still hear a hetrodyne, and know two pilots were talking at the same time. If they were FM, the controllers would never know.

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Im probably just missing something from the article,...
I dont understand whats wrong with the current am voice system , & its in use all over the world & works well
If it aint broke ....why fix it?

& as for going digital & then adding encryption...
Its something that I wouldnt expect to see soon either but.....you never know
all it would take is some stupid incident to justify it,...

I used to say "Why would MY local police need to go Enc" thats just silly....they went encrypted
Why would the inland coast guard ever need to go encrypted ,.....I have heard them using it now too...
Everything is on the encryption bandwagon nowadays ,..hopefully Ill be long gone by the time thats implemented....

kikito

Premium Subscriber
We already have a type of NEXCOM Multimode Digital Radios (MDR) installed in many of our sites for over a year now. They're just operating in analog mode. Later on when they're ready to switch, we can do some configuration changes and they'll operate on VDL-3 digital mode.

These are the ones we're using right now but they're from a joint venture between ITT and Northrop Grumman:

http://www.bellcommspain.com/Documen...AS/MDRCAVU.pdf

I guess I'll be finding out in the near future if we'll end up replacing the ones we just got and that we haven't even used on digital mode yet with the Harris/Jotron radios that the article mentions.

N

N_Jay

I'll be suprised if they leave AM soon. I've had people tell me the reason they use AM, is because even if a strong signal covers a weak one, the controllers will still hear a hetrodyne, and know two pilots were talking at the same time. If they were FM, the controllers would never know.

This is basically an urban legend.

They never left AM because of the significant undertaking that would be required worldwide, with limited benefit from FM. (This is almost the reverse of the move from AM to FM that LMR made in the 50's and 60's)

While the 'excuse' that you can hear a covered unit is repeated often, I have not been able to find ANY substantiation that there was ever a 'decision' to stay.

N

N_Jay

As for those that can't understand the use of encryption, you have to understand the the same technology that drives encryption also drive authentication, which is a critical feature.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Aviation comms and encryption.

The only encrypted aviation comms I have even heard of is used only by military units. Both foreign and domestic. And thats only been on the military UHF band, military VHF (AKA fed 138-144 MHz), and some on the Army VHF Lo stuff. Digital for AM is coming, but it won't be P-25 as has been stated. Can it be monitored? Who knows what the future will bring. But as popular as the aviation bands are to monitor, I am willing to bet that yes the scanner manufacturers will find a way to let us hear aviation after digitization. Encryption on worldwide VHF aviation freqs? Not likely. Forcing aircraft that fly in US airspace to add special encrypted NON aviation band radios... That may happen. Never ever underestimate the stupidity level of the Federal Government of the United States.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned

Been planned for a while now...

Edit- Of course so is LMAO-JTRS.

HAHA

ATC- "American 544 Heavy, with you.

Plane- "American 544? Say again you were digitized." :roll:

"This is your Captain speaking, huh, we need everyone to stop using WIFI for just a moment."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.