• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Harris M/A-Com P7200

Status
Not open for further replies.

richard630

Premium Subscriber
Good Day

I just bought a M/A-Com P7200 which I plan to use it as a scanner for my local P25 phase I. When I turn it on, it prompt OpenSky then pls Log in. After reading the manual, I managed to switch it to ECP mode by type 1# on keyboard. However, here is my first problem.

The P7200 reboot after 1# command for switching to ECP mode, then it prompted self test->only show "Program" on screen. No further menu or anything.

I called Harris who redirect me to local dealer. But dealer told me over the phone they don't have cable on hand to hook it up.

Please help me to sort this out as I can not even get to the ECP menu, not to mention any further programming. Thanks in advance

DisasterGuy

Many of the P7200 radios that you will find on FleeBay are OpenSky only and are unable to accept ECP/XGP.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

richard630

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your prompt reply. When it was on OTP mode, I can pick and choose ECP mode. Just after confirm, the radio reboot and locked on "Program". I hope it just need a RPM software to program something in there. By the way, I called Harris TAC and got the confirmation that it has feature 33 and 37 (P25, AES) loaded.

Do you think I can have any luck if I bring it to dealer for programming? Dealer charges $175 for just look at it.

Many of the P7200 radios that you will find on FleeBay are OpenSky only and are unable to accept ECP/XGP.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

KG7PBS

No radio shop will program that for p25 trunking without permission from the county or state system you're trying to monitor. In fact they will tell you to take it to them to have them program it. There is a guy on eBay that will program radios for receive only look on eBay put in EDACS

richard630

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your advice. As of right now, I am not sure if my P7200 can be programmed since I don't have ECP menu to play with. All I got is a locked "program" screen. I can double click PTT to return to "ready" screen then navigate back to OTP.

Anyone who has P7200 can tell me is this radio capable of ECP mode? or it is Opensky only. But it does have P25 feature loaded as confirmed by Harris.

No radio shop will program that for p25 trunking without permission from the county or state system you're trying to monitor. In fact they will tell you to take it to them to have them program it. There is a guy on eBay that will program radios for receive only look on eBay put in EDACS

TDR-94

Some Opensky radios have just P25 conventional mode enabled for interop.

Last edited:

richard630

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. So if I need to use ECP mode, does it require Harris to give me a new feature code? or just RPM software programming?

Some Opensky radios have just P25 conventional mode enabled for interop.

richard630

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, it has No.33 P25 conventional loaded already. I wonder if I need new firmware to even get into ECP mode to take advantage of P25 capability.

You may also need to add (buy) option 39 which is P25 trunking. 33 is P25 conventional.

richard630

Premium Subscriber
On the ECP mode after reboot, I get PERSDATA ERROR=0505. Does it mean this radio is locked on Opensky ONLY?

Thanks in advance

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
If it comes-up in ECP mode, stating only PROGRAM, if memory serves me correct, it is telling you TO PROGRAM the radio.

OpenSky is weird in the fact it is configured via a HEX dump to have its system affiliation information loaded into it. When it is powered on, the user LOGS INTO the system with their ID, and the system downloads their specific personality file into the radio. When the radio is powered off, it zero's that data, and must be logged-on again.

(This is what happens when a bunch of Computer Geeks tried to design a radio system, who did not know crap about how a radio works! They treated the mobile/portable radio as a "workstation".)

To compound matters, there is one or two sellers on eBay who purchased a bunch of ex-NY State System OpenSky radios (m7200 and p7200) who think they have treasure, when in reality they have a bunch of paperweights loaded with 15 year old and obsolete ALPHA firmware, that cannot be program by any known software application known to God or man.

A few years back, I tried to 'rescue' a couple of these radios with every possible software tool which was available to users and technicians in the field, which failed. I then tried using the in-house software tools from the Tyco Electronics era which I still had from my 11-year tenure in Tech Support, as the person in TAC who was person responsible for supporting these radios, but to no avail.

HISTORY:
At the time (early 2000's) the NY State Radio System was planned to be 100% OpenSky, with some Conventional P25 for interop. In an effort to meet the initial delivery schedule, Tyco Electronics shipped functional radios loaded only with an ALPHA firmware in them to NYS to comply with the contract, and to get paid. Under the terms of the contract, this was perfectly legal, as the BETA and final firmware files for the radio had not even been written yet. The delivery schedule was for physical hardware, IE: "Tangible assets" which could be inventoried.

I won't bore you with the details of what happened, but the 1000 pound Gorilla in the two-way industry who didn't get the contract, had a meltdown, followed by a tantrum, and started filing lawsuit after lawsuit against the State of NY and Tyco Electronics. The state caved under the pressure and canceled the contract. Any/all radios already received by Albany were either shredded for scrap, or sold as such. A few managed to survive and get out into the "wild". Shortly afterwards appearing on eBay.

I and others have written numerous warnings over the last decade to avoid these radios like gas station Sushi.

Yet, the sellers keep relisting the radios.... :(

richard630

Premium Subscriber
Wow, thanks for the in-depth introduction of the background. I looked my P7200 again. Hopefully it is not the NY State one. It has Harris logo and it has made in US in the back, which might suggest it was made after 2009.

If it only requires to load a personality in, do I need to purchase any file or firmware from Harris before I send it to someone for programming? Thanks for your help

If it comes-up in ECP mode, stating only PROGRAM, if memory serves me correct, it is telling you TO PROGRAM the radio.

OpenSky is weird in the fact it is configured via a HEX dump to have its system affiliation information loaded into it. When it is powered on, the user LOGS INTO the system with their ID, and the system downloads their specific personality file into the radio. When the radio is powered off, it zero's that data, and must be logged-on again.

(This is what happens when a bunch of Computer Geeks tried to design a radio system, who did not know crap about how a radio works! They treated the mobile/portable radio as a "workstation".)

To compound matters, there is one or two sellers on eBay who purchased a bunch of ex-NY State System OpenSky radios (m7200 and p7200) who think they have treasure, when in reality they have a bunch of paperweights loaded with 15 year old and obsolete ALPHA firmware, that cannot be program by any known software application known to God or man.

A few years back, I tried to 'rescue' a couple of these radios with every possible software tool which was available to users and technicians in the field, which failed. I then tried using the in-house software tools from the Tyco Electronics era which I still had from my 11-year tenure in Tech Support, as the person in TAC who was person responsible for supporting these radios, but to no avail.

HISTORY:
At the time (early 2000's) the NY State Radio System was planned to be 100% OpenSky, with some Conventional P25 for interop. In an effort to meet the initial delivery schedule, Tyco Electronics shipped functional radios loaded only with an ALPHA firmware in them to NYS to comply with the contract, and to get paid. Under the terms of the contract, this was perfectly legal, as the BETA and final firmware files for the radio had not even been written yet. The delivery schedule was for physical hardware, IE: "Tangible assets" which could be inventoried.

I won't bore you with the details of what happened, but the 1000 pound Gorilla in the two-way industry who didn't get the contract, had a meltdown, followed by a tantrum, and started filing lawsuit after lawsuit against the State of NY and Tyco Electronics. The state caved under the pressure and canceled the contract. Any/all radios already received by Albany were either shredded for scrap, or sold as such. A few managed to survive and get out into the "wild". Shortly afterwards appearing on eBay.

I and others have written numerous warnings over the last decade to avoid these radios like gas station Sushi.

Yet, the sellers keep relisting the radios.... :(

Last edited:

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
===================================================================================
>>>>>P72ØØ model number breakdown<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DIGITS 1 TO 4...MODEL RADIO................MAPT-........P72ØØ SERIES RADIO.........
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DIGIT 5........KEYPAD STYLE.....................C.......SELECT MODEL RADIO.........
................................................S.......SCAN MODEL RADIO...........
................................................T.......SYSTEM MODEL RADIO.........
DIGIT 6........BANDSPLIT.........................7......764-87Ø MHz................
DIGIT 7........FORMAT.............................H................................
DIGITS 8 TO 9...ENCRYPTION.........................XX...UNENCRYPTED................
...................................................XE...DES ENCRYPTION (FIPS 14Ø)..
...................................................XA...AES ENCRYPTION (FIPS 197)..
===================================================================================

richard630

Premium Subscriber
P7200 is using TI OMAP 5910 Soc ARM CPU and DSP combo. Is there anyone who loaded Android embedded on this platform?

DMRAPX

I have a Harris M/A-Com P7200 with the following features. Just trying to find out what the going price is for this unit.Limited Keypad:
DSP Ver V18.20
Flash Ver R02A26
H/W Rev H4
RF Band 7/800Mhz
01-Conventional Priority Scan
04-EDACS Group Scan
05-EDACS Priority System Scan
06-EDACS/P25 ProScan (ProSound / Wide Area Scan)
07-EDACS/P25 Dynamic Regroup
08-EDACS/P25 Emergency
09-Type 99 Encode and Decode
10-Conventional Emergency
12-Digital Voice
22-ProFile
23-Narrow Band
29-ProVoice
33-P25 Common Air Interface (CAI) &#8211; P25 Conventional
39-P25 Trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.